Timid/Bullied hen

• 3 Replies

Stemar

Timid/Bullied hen
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:11 »
We have had our 4 girls 5 weeks and they are approx.  23 weeks old now.  Poppy (Bovan Nera) is top of the pecking order and is picking on Daisy (Sussex Hybrid).  She has always appeared more timid and sits down a great deal of the time away from the others, she looks depressed.  I know that there is always a pecking order but I feel really sorry for her.  The others do pick on her from time to time but not to the same extent as Poppy. I have had annual leave this week and have been able to observe them more and yesterday Poppy actually pulled some feathers from Daisy, luckily no blood was drawn.

Poppy, Grace and Hetty are all laying eggs regularly. We think that Daisy laid one last Saturday in the run whereas the others all lay in the nestboxes. Since then no eggs from Daisy.  Should I be worried? I understand that if she is stressed this may affect her laying but how does this affect her?  Is it bad for her if she should be laying or will she just lay more later.

I'm not worried at not getting the eggs, just worried about Daisy.

Thanks for reading!

Maria

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Timid/Bullied hen
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:34 »
Hi Maria,
Could you seperate Poppy from the rest for a few days?
This could give one of the others a chance as being 'top dog' and they might not be as aggresive as her.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:47 »
Difficult one this as you feel you should be doing something but sometimes you just have to let it sort itself out.  I'd just be careful that she's not being kept off the food or water but if she is, put a couple of feeders or drinkers out so the aggressive one can't guard them all.
Yes stress is not good as it can reduce the immunity to illness but it's early days and unless your hen is egg bound which you might check for, but doesn't sound like the case here, she'll resume laying with no ill effects.

Like us and all animals they can get under weather and a day later be as right as rain.

Regards
Truth through science.

Stemar

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 18:03 »
Thanks for the replies.  I've just come in from giving them their afternoon treats and now Poppy is also picking on Grace (Bluebell).  She jumped on her back and pecked at her feathers, naughty girl! :mad:  If it continues we shall have to rig something up to seperate her from the others.  I knew there would be a pecking order but had no idea they could be so nasty. 

Although she is so nasty to Grace and Daisy to us she is very tame and allows us to pick her up and give her a cuddle. Whereas Daisy is so nervous we let  her be.  Despite all the worries I am really enjoying this chicken keeping caper :lol:

xx
Timid Bantams

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2015, 12:37
by thechicken
xx
Bullied hen

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 17:45
by farmerGiles
xx
One hen being bullied

Started by AbbyB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2024, 20:09
by jaydig
xx
Bullied hen

Started by lynsnow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 08:21
by Sassy

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 37 queries.