Tolerating Heat

• 5 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Tolerating Heat
« on: August 06, 2009, 18:32 »
Hi Everyone!  I must have five books on hens and never miss a day on the forum here, but I don't know what to do for my hens in this heat.  My poor broody is panting away in the nest box.  I've vented it and given her a small bowl of water.  My free range girls have plenty of shade and lots of water.  Anything else I should be doing?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: Tolerating Heat
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 19:07 »
Sorry Little Red Hen this won't be very useful for you but it is kind of related - my ex-bats had a choice today - stay in the bit of the run that is under cover or stay out in the bit that isn't.  It's obviously been nicer where Little Red Hen is than in Buckinghamshire as it's been raining most of the day, some of it torrential, but it has been very humid and warm.  And where my girls?  Standing in the rain!  Now, is it because they are very very stupid, or is it because they were trying to keep cool?

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 19:22 »
I think your exbats wanted to feel the rain on their little heads, and why not?  Bless. :)

happychickens

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 19:26 »
Hi  I have one broody hen at present, never encountered it before with any of the others.  I may have got it wrong but a make her come off the nest morning and evening if she does not come of her own accord to eat, drink and .....  On the few warm days we have had I have put some water near her and put one ice cube in so that it stays cool for a bit longer and she seems to be no worse. (hope thats not famous last words)  ps I feel bad because I do not want chicks so she is sitting on a pot egg, shame. :wub:

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 19:27 »
That's what I thought, which is why I let them turn their little heads up to the sky and get soaked.  Since it isn't cold, they would dry out soon enough and I like to think of them washing away all the dirt from their old home.  Bit dramatic, I know!  But it made me think - if you put a garden sprinkler on (gentle one), might yours have a wander underneath the spray and cool off?  Wouldn't have a clue about the broody one, having been a chook mother for only five days now, but can you take her out for a while, make sure she gets some fresh air?  Or are broody chooks all mean and moody?

LittleRedHen

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 21:24 »
 I like the idea of an ice cube in the water.  I'll try that tomorrow!  Oh, I have a passion for sprinklers!  There isn't anything as wonderful to run through on a hot day!  LOL!  My broody hen can be a bit cranky, but never mean or aggressive.  We'll see what she is like when she hatches out her chicks in a few days.  Fingers crossed!  Pot eggs, huh?  I have one that my sil gave me.  My hens loved to lay next to it when we first got them.

question
Best way to heat a hen house?

Started by Ringlets on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 15:02
by Casey76
xx
So how much longer under heat??

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 21, 2009, 18:37
by Chookiechook
xx
Heat mat or Lamp

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 10:27
by Casey76
xx
Heat lamps

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 15:59
by Bodger

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.