Mares Tail tips

• 46 Replies

luftmenschen

Re: Mares Tail tips
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 13:01 »
Sorry for the thick question but is Mares Tail the same as Horse Tail?

I buy and use Horse Tail - I wanted to plant some and the chap who would mow my lawn said I would regret it forever if I did - is it the same thing?

JRRD

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 13:20 »
Noooooooo.............................Don't do it. 
You'll spend the rest of your time trying to get rid of it again

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 14:55 »
I think you'll find that the two terms are used interchangeably, although botanically there probably are differences.

Kelvin, re glyphosate, it's best to apply it to the leaves rather than the roots of a plant.  This is because it is a systemic herbicide - i.e. it needs to be absorbed into the system of the plant, through the leaves, and then taken down into the roots through the internal system.  Other herbicides work on contact.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 15:31 »
Correction - it's Doff Tough Weed killer that has bumped off my mares' tail (so far!) but I am ready with the Roundup in vinegar just in case.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mooncatsmum

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 22:04 »
You could try a variation on Sod's Law-something that is useful is difficult to grow ie. you want to amke a lot of nettle beer-the nettles disappear from your plot :ohmy: so mare's tail? In times gone by handfuls of the plant were used for scouring pots and cleaning surfaces, could this weed be the organic answer to Cillit Bang? ::)

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 11:52 »
Just a word to check the residual effect if you're planning on using something other than glyphosate, Kelvin - if it's sodium chlorate, it's not licensed for use on land where crops will be grown, and the ground isn't usable for at least 6 months afterwards in any event.

As with most useful chemicals, the EU has withdrawn the licence for Sodium Chlorate last year, so you will struggle to buy it now. Production has now stopped and whats left is whats in shops stockrooms. When thats gone, thats it.

I made sure i got a 25 Kg bag, just in case.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 12:25 »
It will in fact be illegal to use sodium chlorate after 10 May 2010.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=2623

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 16:28 »
Mares tail and horse tail closely resemble each other but aren't the same thing. Mares tail flowers and spreads via seeds and underground runners. Horse tail is related to the fern family so it doesn't flower but does spread by spores as well as underground runners, just like ferms, but worse. Even if you grow some in pots the spores will quickly bless you with ground crops which you'll never get rid of as they spread exponentially - get rid of one root and 2 quickly sprout to take its place. I haven't met anyone who's been able to totally rid their ground of either.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 16:30 »
And of course, as we all know, the root tips of Mares Tails actually poke out through the roof of Hell.

savbo

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 18:24 »
Mares tail and horse tail closely resemble each other but aren't the same thing. Mares tail flowers and spreads via seeds and underground runners. Horse tail is related to the fern family so it doesn't flower but does spread by spores as well as underground runners, just like ferms, but worse. Even if you grow some in pots the spores will quickly bless you with ground crops which you'll never get rid of as they spread exponentially - get rid of one root and 2 quickly sprout to take its place. I haven't met anyone who's been able to totally rid their ground of either.
are we getting some confusion over transatlantic names? The problem plant - -Equisetum - is called by botanists horsetail but by many marestail. What botanists call marestail in the UK is an aquatic plant - Hippuris - which is not a problem for anyone! Is there a different plant called marestail in north america?

I'm also intrigued by luftmenschen saying they buy and use horsetail - what for? I suspect this may be yet another plant sharing the name!

M

savbo

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 18:27 »
should have wiki'd before posting -
Conyza canadensis, an annual weed also known as horseweed and Canadian fleabane

M

Sprouts

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 18:37 »
The old boys always used to say to get rid of Mares tail you should never let it see a Sunday.

It will mean a bit of work but as soon as it pokes through hoe it off. Apparently if you keep at it it will die off

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 18:45 »
If you read earlier in the thread, it's not just the old boys.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=42827.msg504691#msg504691
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 18:51 »
It will in fact be illegal to use sodium chlorate after 10 May 2010.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=2623

Ooh I had better use mine up as soon as the weather warms up then :ohmy:

fatbelly

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 19:37 »
This is my fourth year on my plot and when I started the plot was riddled with Mares tail.
I hoe it off just below the soil when ever it popd it head up and last year i had very little of it.

Keep hoeing it whenever it pops up and you will win the battle and within there or four years you will have on the war.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
I’ve got mares tail

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 20:31
by snowdrops
xx
mares tail

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

89 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 09:38
by Paul Plots
xx
Mares tail

Started by ynysmonron on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 08:27
by blackisgreen

Page created in 0.853 seconds with 39 queries.