• 353 Replies

chrisjsmith

Re: Daily Harvest Post
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2010, 13:54 »
Today - for sunday lunch

digalotty

« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2010, 22:49 »
homeguard potatoes , sugar-snap peas and carrots and beetroot a lettuce and loads of salad leaf
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Oliveview

« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2010, 08:27 »
27kg tomatoes..... I hadnīt picked for 3 days :ohmy:
1 galia melon (1 left to pick)
a few peppers
5 aubergine
4 pumpkin (from 16kg-20kg) :D
2 turks turban pumpkin
1 orange dream pumpkin
2 cucumber- they were hidden so have grown very big so will probably be bitter :(

I made tomato fritto last night- today I will be bottling tomatoes.  I might even be bottling them tomorrow too!!
Pamela

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2010, 10:26 »
Yesterday I picked tons of raspberries and made a great raspberry cheesecake. I've no idea what kind they are but I have to say they are the best raspberries I've tasted for many years, they came with the house.  :) I also picked a few more courgettes and made some posh zucchini fries which were lovely and I think I finished off the sugar snap peas which never make it indoors! I've got more plants coming along but not near flowering yet wish I'd got my timing right and will try to do better next year, so that I have a constant supply as we all love them.
Today if it ever stops raining I'm going to harvest some beetroot which I have never used fresh before so I can't wait, I  have a few ideas for using them. Mind you it's not looking as if the weather will break as it's pouring down at the moment and has been all morning, the dogs are following me around asking for a walk but I'm hoping to put that off a bit until its drier. I might get some more potatoes in today as well.
I'm loving this growing your own malarkey, walking out and picking a lettuce, spring onions etc as required is brilliant and I'm sure it's all saving me a fortune in buying in veg. A small punnet of raspberries alone costs a fair bit and we've got loads. :)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2010, 21:10 »
8 weeks on the new plot, finally had a "proper" harvest (all we've had til now is the odd radish), tonight we managed 1 very large green courgette, 2 yellow ones, and a mini cucumber... i'm happy as Larry!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: Ģ293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: Ģ163.93 (as at 8/8)

andy135

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2010, 10:30 »
Just lifted almost 10lbs of first early Lady Chrystl from 9 plants. They do look nice. :)

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2010, 22:43 »
We harvested our first ever cucumber today. I also picked a few salad leaves and a couple of cherry tomatoes, so we had our first ever entirely home-grown side salad with dinner tonight. :D

mark0912

« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2010, 00:21 »
good few kg of first earlies (glad i left them in 2 more weeks they are great), first french beans (just starting to set after the mangetout have finished), a courgette, my first shallots and the best carrot i've ever grown!

its taken a while but its coming good  :)

Thrift

« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2010, 08:10 »
Home reared chicken ( the best I ever tasted !) orla potatoes, courgettes and carrots. Strawberries.  :D :D

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2010, 11:10 »
Gosh Thrift I couldn't eat my chickens, they shall be buried with honours when they pop their clogs.
Mind you I bet yours were good, you'd know exactly what went into rearing them I take it? Do you do the deed yourself?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2010, 11:19 »
Picked a few green beans for tea and picked a pod of the tiniest peas and ate them then and there ;)

Springlands

« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2010, 20:14 »
Three beautiful cucumbers from my outdoor plants and a handful of scallions (spring onions) which all went into a salad.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2010, 20:40 »
This wasn't quite all of the day's harvest, I'd already given some tatties, courgettes and beans to my mum and dad.
Not a bad haul though!
First artichoke of the season.  Didn't last long, daughters shared it for starter.
harvest 17-7-10.jpg
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

titch

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2010, 23:20 »
No pics but came home with peas, raspberries, garllic, courgettes,peas and beetroot, tomorrow will be spuds, calabrese, mnore raspberries, courgettes and peas
just keep breathing................

Thrift

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2010, 08:00 »
Gosh Thrift I couldn't eat my chickens, they shall be buried with honours when they pop their clogs.
Mind you I bet yours were good, you'd know exactly what went into rearing them I take it? Do you do the deed yourself?

This bird was one of two white ones ( are they cobs ?) which are bred locally and usually killed at six weeks.

We decided to add them to our crew and let them lay. However, they were such gluttons and barely moved unless forced to get outside that weight became a problem. The first was dispatched ( disappointing when cooked ) and the next started to lay occasionally.

She too succumbed to greed and overweight so met her demise swiftly at the hands of an expert. The difference was that we hung her as recommended on this site and she was delicious.

I got the job of gutting and cleaning ! and cooking of course,
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:20 by DD. »

xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
Post harvest.

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 20:05
by maddave
xx
Daily Harvest

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

243 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:59
by comfreykid
xx
Daily Harvest - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

827 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 12:57
by Abbeyview

Page created in 0.907 seconds with 38 queries.