Poppy is poorly

• 25 Replies

Beano

Poppy is poorly
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:59 »
Hi,
On Monday evening after work Poppy was limping badly. On Tue. morning the same but by Tue evening after work she was at the bottom of the steps to the coup not beeing able to even stand up. She was splaying her wings out to try and balance and get up but nothing. Wed. morning took her to the vets. She was given an anti-inflamatory and anti-biotic injection. The vet could not see any signs of damage and reasured me that she was in good condition apart from her obvious problem. I was told to bring her back on Fri if there is no improvement. The strange thing is she has layed an egg Mon., Tue. and Wed. Maybe it was strugglin up the steps to lay the egg on Tue. that made things worse.

It's horrible to see her like this and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. She, like dizzylizzie's Willow has no grip. I noticed that she wolfes down the eggshell that I give her. I'm sure that I read somewhere on this sight that a hard boiled egg would be a safe treat for her. She had a normal poo this morning after having some very runny and smelly poo.

Have taken time off work now to nurse her and would appreciate any input on how to do the best for her.

El.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
Re: Poppy is poorly
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 13:10 »
sounds like a sprain, I know if my girls jump off the perch can land awakard and hurt their leg. Just a few days on her own on leavel ground so no steps or ladders to climb and no perching. I have use a plastic dog carrier with some straw in as sleeping aera and a make shift run. Just rest normaly works the antiinflamtory inject will ease the pain for her hence the wing to help her ballance.
As long as she has her own food and water away, from the others so they dont push her over , if you can still keep her in sight of the others she wont feel alone and less stress.
If you raise her food and water so she does not have to bend down so far perhaps on a brick. hard boild egg is fine just small amounts you can give her small bits of cabbage leaves hand feed her. Hope shes better soon xxx

Beano

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 13:42 »
Thanks for the reply Snowflake. She is in the cat box at night in the spare bedroom and in the small run with the other two during the day. The others are both broody and quite happy to sit with her. It's lovely to hear them chat to each other. She has had half a boiled egg and at times looks as if she is about to stand up, but she's only adjusting herself. At least she is able to swap from side to side and sitting upright. Every now and again I let the other two back in the coup to give her a rest. She's just underneath the coup.
I hope you are right and that it is a sprain. She is the sensible one, my favourite. She does not go broody at a drop of a hat like the others.
Will let you know if there's any changes.
Cheers.

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 00:23 »
 :( Oh I do hope she will get better. Poor love. do let us know. x

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:29 »
hi, how is poppy today? ive got willow in a cat basket, but she is still with the others. i actually saw willow fall so i know what happened, do you have ant idea what happened to Poppy?...hope she is stronger soon  xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:33 »
How is poppy this morning Beano?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Beano

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:42 »
She is no worse but no better either. She has had some water with anti-biotic in it this morning and some hard boiled egg and shell. Her crop was full last night and empty this morning therefore I assume that she is digesting her food ok. She had a tidy poo also this morning.
I have taken the lid off the petbasket and put her in the run with the other two. She does talk to them and got quite irate when Buttercup (the greedy one) pinched one of her blackcurrants. I will keep an eye on her today.
The vet did say to bring her back today if she is no better. I think I will leave it till this afternoon before deciding because it is a half hour journey which stresses her out,
What is your advice?
Thanks all for your concern.
Will keep you informed.

Beano

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48 »
I forgot to say that I can only guess what happened. She was limping on Monday night and Tuesday morning but by Tuesday evening she was at the bottom of the steps as she is now. I know that she went up to the coup to lay an egg on Tuesday because the other two are broody. Whether she got pushed off the steps or fell I dont know. The broody girls do tend to push each other in the rush to get at the nests.
Do you think that 3 days is long enough to recover, or should I wait a day or so again?

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:53 »
Hello Beano.  I am no expert, having had my ex-bats for less than a week now, but the BHWT told me that the bruising on their legs can take 7-10 days to heal and I guess, if Poppy has sprained something, it could take a similar amount of time...?

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:00 »
What breed is poppy? how old is she?

Beano

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 09:44 »
Not sure of her age but suspect that she's getting on. She has taken to crowing like a cockerel lately and apparently that is age related. She is a mixed breed I think that she has a legbar in her.
Been trying to send a photo. Have taken some time.
Hope this works!!
Poppy.jpg

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:55 »
she is rather lovely beano :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:19 »
isnt she just!....very pretty :D

Beano

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 10:37 »
Thank you both. I think she's lovely too.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 13:07 »
she is stunning lovely colours.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Another poorly hen.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 12:21
by Chas
xx
poorly hen

Started by henkeeper on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 22:16
by henkeeper
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 16:55
by New shoot

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 37 queries.