more chilli growing expert advice needed!

• 4 Replies

Norfolkbird

• Location: North Norfolk coast for preference, London for work
more chilli growing expert advice needed!
« on: August 05, 2009, 21:35 »
I've grown some Hungarian Wax this year in the polytunnel, and to be honest I was going to pull them out, as they didn't appear to be doing anything up until about 5 weeks ago.  However, they put on some growth, flowered, and have now started to crop.

Soooo....I've harvested/used about 10 so far, and to be honest, they've been PATHETIC!!! I've eaten hotter cucumbers!! HOWEVER - I picked 4 tonight, and lobbed three of them in the massive pan of "I Grew It So I'm Dam'n Well Going To Eat It" stew type thingy I made tonight, which I will freeze, and chopped the other one into the salad I had for dinner (lobster - the only thing I didn't grow, but caught by a mate off his boat so still local!)  Of course, the huge error, which all you experts will have spotted, is that I haven't mentioned tasting any of the chillis before adding to recipes.  And yes - the one on the salad has got the same capabilities as a medium range thermo nuclear device, so I am just a little wary about trying the stew and seeing how many layers of taste-buds it will remove. 

So, finally getting to the point - what happened?  Why the change in heat, from 3 days ago to now? Is this usual for chillis to change heat?  Is it all a big laugh in the chilli plant community to lull novice growers into a false sense of "I'm oh-so-bland...go on rascal, BITE ME!"  security?  Please help, as now I'm scared.....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: more chilli growing expert advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 21:38 »
We have had some warmer weather over here in Reading.

Also, chillis do hot up as they ripen IME so that might account for it.

I have found that apparently identical chillis from different plants are hotter/less hot, too, and I don't know why.

Either way, I'm glad they are not all woosy ones  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Norfolkbird

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 21:52 »
hmmm....it's been scorchio here for a couple of days, so maybe that is it.  I'll just have to VERY CAREFULLY try before using from now on!

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 22:43 »
They do vary from pod to pod but as to why I have no idea.  There shouldn't be that much of a difference between them, If both sets were ripe they should be around the same heat. Having said that I have noticed that the first couple of peppers from a plant are poor.

What you'll also find is that when you eat them raw in a salad you don't disperse the heat at all and get the full effect. If you cook them in food the chemical that causes the heat dissipates amongst the other ingredients so you dont get sudden bursts of heat just a smooth constant level.

But there is a lesson there - always try your peppers first  ;) even the hot ones - just so you know what you're dealing with. I like the hot waxes stuffed with soft cheese and ham then roasted.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 22:45 by Lardman »

Norfolkbird

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 23:28 »
thanks for the advice, both of you, and I'll try the recipe suggestion, Lardman, although I'm still nervous!

xx
Chilli expert grower advice please

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 14:05
by Parsnip
xx
Expert parsnip advice needed

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 15:25
by Goosegirl
xx
Asparagus problems - expert advice needed please

Started by steve Lord on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 09:51
by steve Lord
xx
Resident parsnip expert advice needed!

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 14:57
by rhysdad

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 36 queries.