First lay, now she's 'dizzy'

• 4 Replies

MarkBrad

First lay, now she's 'dizzy'
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:10 »
Our Wessex has laid her first egg this morning, egg is ok but shell seems thin and unset. There was the tinyest spot of blood on the shell too.

At first she wouldn't get off it and I thought she was trying the hatch it but I see now she is having problems.

She will let you pick her up without any fuss but she seems unbalanced, she fell straight down the ramp and when she walks she looks drunk almost, she'll try a few steps but she holds her wings out as if she's unstable. I've checked her for any obvious signs of damage (blood or cuts etc) and nothing. She doesn't seem in any pain as such.

She was fine last night, running about the garden like a mad one (as usual).

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: First lay, now she's 'dizzy'
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:12 »
Give her some bio yogurt Mark.  She might need a calcium boost and chooks love it.

If it continues let us know.

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:14 »

oh bless, I think it can be pretty hard going for them when they lay their first egg, and can really knock them for six, I'm sure she'll be fine, just let her relax, she'll probably be jumping all over you later on today.   I don't think it's a good idea to disturb them when they're laying either, I know it's hard cos you want to see that very first egg but she probably wants to rest and not be picked up.

MarkBrad

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21 »
Cheers,

I'll give her some space and see how she goes. She's an awkward * when it comes to food anyway. She loves sweet corn but hardly touches the layer pellets and the grit/oyster shell well, she'll not go near it so I'm not too surprised the shell isn't hard.

I'll keep you informed

Mark

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25 »
Mark, cut out the treats and just feed her layers pellets for a while - they are full of the necessary stuff that she needs to lay eggs. Joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

sad
Dizzy Hen

Started by kathynatalie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 08:32
by kathynatalie
exclamation
Dizzy/drunk acting hen?

Started by didsomeonesayellie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 08:14
by Sassy

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 29 queries.