Best eggs

• 3 Replies

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
Best eggs
« on: August 04, 2009, 22:10 »
We live in a small village, with no passing trade and sell surplus eggs at the gate at £3.00 a dozen. We have had Marans (about 20) for the past ten years and now cannot cope with the demand for their eggs

Broodies and incubators on eggs from ebay have been a disaster this year, our pure bred cockerel pegged out in the spring. We have another about 10 weeks old. who will he OK next year.

To keep our customers on side we have just bought 10 Speckledys, who are just begininng to lay,  will their eggs be as brown and as tasty?

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
Re: Best eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 22:31 »
Hello!

I have only one Speckledy she lays tasty eggs but hers are light brown with dark speckles on them! although they are pretty eggs! think it is a lottery with Hybrids when it comes to predicting the exact colour of the eggs .... a bit of a wait and see game LOL

we also have a Maran Couverie which is a Copper Black Maran Hybrid and she lays lovely dark brown tasty eggs

We did have a bluebelle (before the dreded fox got her  :mad:) she was supposed to lay a plum blushed egg but hers were white LOL

Trina x
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 22:33 »
I have not had Speckledys, but have a welsummer and her eggs are lovely brown and big think the taste is what goes in their mouth and the result comes out the other end.
I have had cream legbars well 3 of them and now just have a cream legbar cross gold silkie people say there eggs tasted the best ? I just think if was because it came in a blue shell ha ha.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 22:47 »
I've had marans and speckledys as well as lots of other hybrids and pure breeds and I don't think without seeing the egg colour and size I'd have been able to tell from the taste what breed it came from.  Egg colour can vary from one strain to another even within the same breed so you can't guarentee this though a good strain of speckledy will lay nice brown eggs.

Regards
Truth through science.

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 36 queries.