What do you do once you used weedkiller?

• 6 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« on: April 24, 2007, 13:02 »
Do youmow it all back then throw away the foliage?
I have read people talking about 'burning off' the dead plants, but I think that would be dangerous as I have neglected sites on both sides of mine.

Can it all just be rotovated back into the ground, or is that really bad ?
(I know, I know WG it's all REALLY BAD! but I need to do this to get started)
advice please.

Thanks
Lucy

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 13:12 »
I need to know as well.  Husband is threatening to get a digger in as we need to level the plot.  Do you dig up the dead roots when the weedkiller has done its job?
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 13:37 »
I just burnt mine off, i have neglected plots either side you can see pics in my gallery if you want to. Then just dig whats left in, same with the roots just dig in they will break down, If you find any that have signs of life just pull em up and leave to one side to die.
If your burning off take into consideration wind speed and direction, have a few buckets of water ready just in case.   :wink:
oh and no loubylou it aint all that bad it is biodegradable, only bad if you are strict organic and after being certified by HDRA ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

acetaria

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 15:15 »
I assume you are using glyphosate, if so you should bag it and trash it. From what I have been told not all the glyphosate gets broken down straight away and can act to inhibit seed germination and growth if it stays in the garden. Burning anything at low temps that has chemicals in it is not a good idea either (all fires produce Dioxins but far more so if there is plastics or other chemical products in it). Best path for it is to the local incinerator where it gets burnt at very high temps. Composting it acts to concentrate some chemicals as well so thats not a good idea (most compost produced from council green waste has relatively high levels of Dioxins for example).  Certification as organic doesn't really mean a lot I dont think - all you have to do is stay off the 'bad stuff' for a couple of years but as far as I know they don't test your soil for pollutants or any of the potentially really dangerous stuff (like Dioxins) anyway. Pesticides are a totally different story however.

BTW After lots of searching I bought my 1Litre Roundup Bioactive concentrate on ebay for about half the cost in the shops for the same size/strength (if you can find it) and about 5% of the price of the mixed up stuff in 500ml bottles they all sell in B&Q/Woolies etc

WG.

Re: What do you do once you used weedkiller?
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 15:23 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"

You won't find me preaching on such matters so don't feel bad.  I am happy to offer organic advice (with or without the asking), but I ain't gonna browbeat anyone who doesn't follow it to the letter.   The main thing is to get Growing Your Own

apywell

Re: What do you do once you used weedkiller?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:26 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Do youmow it all back then throw away the foliage?
I have read people talking about 'burning off' the dead plants, but I think that would be dangerous as I have neglected sites on both sides of mine.

Can it all just be rotovated back into the ground, or is that really bad ?
advice please.

Thanks
Lucy

Once my weedkiller had killed the weeds I rotovated everything.  That was about 2 months ago.  That seemed to do the trick.  Although weeds are back it is easy to manually pull them up and weed as normal now.  The rotovator did its job of loosening everything up.  My allotment was really quite bad with weeds.  Have a look at my Lottie web page to see some pics of what I mean.
Committee member and Treasurer. Oh and maintain our website.....

splodger

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 16:21 »
my plot is  plagued by couch grass - i just dig it all up - dry it in racks then burn it.

whenever i've used weedkiller in other peoples gardens - i always dig the dead weeds up - especially convolvulous.

the danger of rotavating after weedkilling is you do run the risk of spreading the nasties all over your plot - depending on the weeds in question.

if you do nothing after weedkilling - they will grow back eventually.

xx
Weedkiller

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2015, 10:05
by mdjlucan
xx
weedkiller

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:11
by tode
xx
Weedkiller

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 13:23
by sazhig
xx
weedkiller

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 23:12
by Salmo

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 36 queries.