FOX ATTACK - need electric fencing quick

• 21 Replies

hillfooter

Re: FOX ATTACK - need electric fencing quick
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 15:10 »
I'm going to disagree with you there hillfooter,I run two mains powered fence energizers, never had anybody fit them in don't use anything extra apart from a three pin plug and an earting rod, i run approx 6km of wire from it and never had any probs at all, Rutland electric fencing sell some fantastic mains units, which are all connect and plug in.

just remember that if you have members of the public that can get near to the fence you will need warning signs, thats all

Jay

I think we're probably in violent agreement here Jay.  You probably plug your mains units into professionally installed outside power sockets which have earth leakage circuit breakers as are required by law, and to ensure safety.   If you need to install wiring to have an out side mains supply (which is what I was saying I think you'll find if you read it.) that's a job for a qualified electrician.  I'm concerned that people don't run mains extension leads which are open to the elements and trail them across their gardens.  This is not a safe way of powering your mains energiser. 

When you give advice on an open public domain like this you need to be aware that not everyone reading it is going to be an expert so I'd rather err on the side of caution.  Of course mains units can be installed safely by people who know what they are doing but if mains wiring or sockets  are needed then you must have it professionally installed evem if you know about electrics.  That's responsible good advice.
Regardsl
Truth through science.

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 16:17 »
as long as hubby does "running man" in the air when I've forgotten to warn him AGAIN that the fence is on am I bothered???? :D :D

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 16:29 »
Yep that's what an electric fence is supposed to do and great fun it can be too.  Though it's usually me that gets the belt!

However touch the otherside of the energiser connection if it's mains and not properly installed and you could be dead.  Not so amusing!  You can guarentee this won't happen with a battery.

Regards

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 19:51 »
The fencing kit will arrive in next couple of days, We've gone for the mains as we already have power in a shed that run lighting and pond pumps, they were fitted by a spark.
We were hoping to get the fencing up and running asap, it didnt occur to me that the electrics might be complicated, I assumed all the right connectors etc would be supplied with kit. We have ordered the lead out cable a 3 way adaptor, switch and tester as well.
Should I try and book a spark or should it be pretty straight forward, obviously we dont want any delays getting it up and running, the hens are going to get fed up being locked away while were not around soon :(
Thanks for all quick responses and advice, Jo

hillfooter

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 22:36 »
Hi Jo,

With what you describe there you should be OK and as you've already discussed this with the expert at the supplier you will have been advised well. 

The energiser will be sited in the shed which I assume is weatherproof and the lead out cable will carry the hi tension voltage (spark) to the outside world ie the net.  I assume the lead out cable will be long enough. and I guess you'll be running this so its not in the way or likely to get damaged.

My comments were aimed at others who might read your post and might want more info. on the pros and cons. I realised that you'd already ordered your kit.
Regards

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 08:09 »
Thanks Hillfooter

It is important to think about fitting anything electrical, especially outdoors, I was so anxious to solve the fox problem yesterday I really had'nt given too much thought to the installation so it was good to get a reminder that we need to think carefully about what we are doing.
I have ordered excess lead out cord and we plan to run it either along the top or base of a 6ft fence that encloses OH Japanese garden so there is no grass/shrubs to get in the way, the suppliers suggested running it through hose for extra protection. The electrics are housed in a new shed, OH said these were re-done last year.

Thanks again

Hopefully all will go to plan, I wont relax until I know the hens are safe :( Jo

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 17:22 »
Hi Jo,

What a coincidence Bill from fencing direct called me while I was reading your mail.  Appears I made an enquiry when I was buying a net recently.  We had a chat about the mains engergiser they supply (HOTLINE).  This has a plug top power supply which supplies a low 12V power to the main energiser and they supply teh leads to use a battery with it as well (though not both mains  & battery) so you should have the best of both worlds.  The power supply must be mounted indoors but the energiser can be used outdoors  One thing you might have to sort out is how you switch it off.  With a battery powered unit the energiser would be loal to the net and you could just unclip the battery but with a remote mains energiser you will have to enter the garage before you go down the garden and switch the mains socket assuming the energiser has no switch which is the modern trend.  If it has a switch you might consider mounting the energiser outside the garage for easier access.
You will need to earth the energiser by connecting it to an earth spike that they should supply.  Drive this around 40cm into the ground at a wet spot such as near a down pipe which discharges onto the ground.  The leadout cable will go from the HT spark terminal of the energiser to the net.
Switch it on and rest easy!

xx
electric fencing

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 21:38
by lucylou
xx
electric fencing

Started by spikesgrandad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 20:46
by Foxy
xx
electric fencing

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 08:29
by Sassy
xx
electric fencing

Started by chickerun on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 20:55
by Chookster

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.