FOX ATTACK - need electric fencing quick

• 21 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
FOX ATTACK - need electric fencing quick
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:41 »
We are so upset,  :(I let my birds out at 7.30 for an before I went to work. 20 minutes later 4 had been killed and one taken. One was less than 4ft away from the foxwatch, so that clarifies my thoughts on whether they are any good. :mad:
The most upsetting thing is the needless killing, especially our mother hen Daphne :(

We have been pondering electric fencing, Ive read many posts suggesting it is the only sure way to combat the fox.

Can anyone recommend where we can get a good starter kit for electric fencing from, either online or Cheshire area so we can protect our poor traumatised survivors  :(

Jo

archiesgems

Re: FOX ATTACK - need electric fencing quick
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:46 »
Oh Jo i am so sorry to hear of your loss, this is the place that i bought all of my fencing from they are very good  www.electricfencing.co.uk

Jay x

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:50 »
thats who I use too,very very good! I use their 122cm high netting.

a hobby horse P450 would be a good and simple energiser to start of with, make sure you get a fence tester too. Have a look here for some tips. So sorry for your loss, very upsetting. :(

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4748.0

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:55 »
What awful news  :( sending big hugs!! :(!

Debbie x
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05 »
So sorry Jo, hugs from me xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23 »
Battery or mains? We cant decide, any suggestions?

Thank you for posts, Jo

archiesgems

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:28 »
if you can get mains then they are far better than battery and very cheap to run,

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06 »
Mains a must if you can.  Remember to bait your fence with cat food or something so the Fox gets a good belt.

Why mains.
1. It will kill the grass so the grass does not short it out.
2. You will need two car batteries and charger (cost)
3. You will always have to remember to check the battery
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:18 »
i just wanted to send you big hugs and say how sorry i am xxx

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:28 »
I use both mains and battery. The mains is great for the larger areas as is a powerful one, the battery one is used for areas away from the house, or just where I am resting ground.
Jay I am looking for a new mains one, any you would recommend?  :)

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:56 »
Just had long chat with the man from electric fencing, he was brill, very helpful.
I have ordered a 50m mains unit with a 3 way adaptor for flexibility and few extras like tester and switch thingy?
Hopefully will arrive tomorrow.

At the moment I have confined remainder hens to the house and shed, keeping them out of site. Will they be ok with this for the next couple of days? I will let them out into the coop area when I can keep an eye on them, but even though it has a 7ft wire fence surrounded by railway sleepers I am not convinced the fox wont find a way in.

Thank you again for the quick responses and good wishes.

Yet another lesson learnt I suppose :(
Jo

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:13 »
Sorry to hear your sad news Jo. :(

Your survivors may well feel more secure being confined for a couple of days anyway. Must traumatise them for a while, even though they're simple souls.

Well done for acting quickly. I'd keep a close eye on things if you can. If not, 7ft should act as a deterrant but make sure there's absolutely nothing they can climb up to get over.

Rob

nzdunn

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17 »
so sorry to hear of your sad losses jo, sending hugs and hope the electric fencing sorts out the bloomin fox.   nickyx

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 13:41 »
Sorry to hear about your hens but you seem to have acted quickly but be extra vigillent over the next few days as once the fox knows there's easy pickings they'll be back.  Your new fence should do the trick though.  We’ve used nets for 10 years now without losing a chicken though when we used to let them wander over our side meadow we had problems.  If you want to bait the net, and it's probably not a bad idea, use bacon rashers wrapped round the fence so the fox needs to get its tongue round it and then it’ll be sure to get a belt.  They won't go near it after that.

On the choice of battery or mains powered if you have a convenient mains supply handy and you don't want to move the net at regular intervals, over fields, then mains units are a good choice as they are always on and don't obviously run down like batteries.  However there are safety considerations with mains units which you MUST pay attention to and I can't comprehensively cover in a post.  There are strict rules about using mains outside and you should use a qualified electrician who can do certified wiring if you need to do this.

If you use a mains unit then you can (and arguably should from a safety perspective run the high tension (shock) conductor from your energiser (which should be located in a building for weather protection) to your fence directly.  This will require a special weather-proof high tension voltage cable which will be quite expensive so what you save on a battery you might spend on a high voltage cable.

If you live in an area where you have mains outages (as we do in the country) or need to have a movable net, or there's no convenient mains supply, or your worried about  a potential safety issue (children or walkers), or you just don't want the expense of the services of an electrician, then batteries are a good choice.   I use a 12V wet LEISURE battery not the dry 9V type which can't be recharged though has the advantage of being light and easily portable for field use.  Rutland market very good quality energisers for both mains & battery, though they aren't cheap.

You can have the best of both worlds and solve the safety issue by using a wet battery inside a shed (or stable in our case) with a car battery charger on float, keeping it charged.  Then run a twin conductor 12V power cable to your energiser situated on the fence (no shock safety issues with this but make sure it can't short out and use an inline 2Amp fuse at the battery end to protect against a fire risk).  Do this rather than run an external mains cord which has safety issues and is not what I'd recommend.  If you use a battery on charge then your fence will stay live even with a power cut or your circuit breaker trips or the cleaner unplugs it.

A note on wet batteries - obviously an old 12V car battery can be used and is cheap but it won't last long unless you keep it charged.  If you completely discharge a car battery repeatedly, the plates warp and short out the interior cells making them useless.  Leisure batteries are designed for repeated deep discharges and have specially reinforced cells which take this treatment so if you are buying a battery make sure it's a LEISURE battery designed for frequent deep discharge cycles.  Check out ebay for cheap ex computer/ telecoms uninterruptable power supply batteries which are usually very high spec. batteries and get routinely replaced after so many years (light) service.  They normally have lots of life left in them but you obviously take pot luck.

If you use an electric fence in open fields expect to have to have it repaired ocassionally as lightning strikes on the fence or nearby can easily zap your energiser.   Cheaper units are usually more vulnerable than more expensive well designed ones.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 14:15 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

archiesgems

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 14:33 »
I'm going to disagree with you there hillfooter,I run two mains powered fence energizers, never had anybody fit them in don't use anything extra apart from a three pin plug and an earting rod, i run approx 6km of wire from it and never had any probs at all, Rutland electric fencing sell some fantastic mains units, which are all connect and plug in.

just remember that if you have members of the public that can get near to the fence you will need warning signs, thats all

Jay

xx
electric fencing instead of a run...

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:48
by ManicMum
xx
Electric fencing

Started by beekeeper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 17:29
by darkbrowneggs
xx
electric fencing

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 07:58
by Sassy
xx
A run Vs electric fencing

Started by vicky_b on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 09:06
by Sassy

Page created in 0.542 seconds with 39 queries.