yolk in coop ???

• 5 Replies

caerkev

yolk in coop ???
« on: August 03, 2009, 17:44 »
just been to pick up our daily egg that 1 of our 4 girls has been laying for the last 2 weeks, as usual the egg was sat there waiting, but there was also a big bright yellow patch that looked very much like egg yolk, there was no sign what so ever of any shell so what could this be, could it be one of the other girls trying to start laying or an undeveloped egg coming out at the same time, the other egg was purfictly formed and as clean as ever ???
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 17:56 by DD. »

RoyMK

Re: yolk in coop ???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 19:08 »
Hi

I have the same problem my 4 girls started laying last Tuesday and we have had 14 eggs so far plus 2 soft shelled and 2 with no shell (possibly soft shells eaten by the birds)

We thought that they had all layed OK but possibly one of them is having problems?

Should I be worried?

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 19:17 »
Not speaking from experience but there have been a lot of similar threads on here. It seems to be a common thing when they first start laying that their shells can be soft, mis-shaped or even missing. It should settle down with time when they get the hang of it.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 19:27 »
Forgot to ask.... do they have access to oyster shell. If you boil and crush any used eggshells you can mix them in with their food to return the calcium to them.

caerkev

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 19:51 »
yes i mix oyster shell and roasted egg shell into there food daily, only got 1 of the 4 laying at the moment(started 20 july), been getting an egg a day except for 2 days she missed out, the eggs have been getting bigger each time and had no soft shells or funny shapes yet, so was wondering if this may be one of the other girls having a go.
by the way the eggs taste great, i finally got one sunday after the kids,wife,2 nephews1 niece and the next door neighbour, and i'm the one who feeds,cleans and care for them and last one to get an egg >:(

RoyMK

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 19:59 »
Yes they are better fed than I am.

they get layer pellet all the time with oyster shell and red grit which is supposed to be full of minerals then a bowl of greens (cabbage, lettuce, all the salad left overs etc.)  plus they get access to the garden when we are in.

The good eggs are fantastic nice hard shells and very tasty, lets hope its just because they are net at it?

xx
blood and yolk in coop UPDATED hen poorly !!!! :(

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 19:02
by Aunt Sally
clip
Red yolk

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2017, 18:20
by New shoot
xx
Egg yolk

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 18:02
by Sadgit
xx
help no egg just yolk

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 19:58
by muntjac

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.