Take wet weather into account

• 14 Replies

MikeyandAnnie

Take wet weather into account
« on: July 29, 2009, 21:21 »
Hi y'all.  Wondered if any of you experienced allotmenteers had any advice for a realtive newcommer on any adjustments one should make to the way the soil is prepared when the climate is as we as it is now. 

For example, should we plant onions up in ridges so they have good drainage?
Growing our own.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Take wet weather into account
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 22:18 »
Unless your plot has real drainage problems, I wouldn't suggest anything drastic unless you want to do things like raised beds.

Adding organic matter improves soil structure so will always be a Good Thing.

Not sure about specific crop matters.

However, bear in mind that we had a very hot and dry June in general, and that despite the last two summers, the long-term trend is predicted to be warm wet winters and hotter drier summers (I think).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 23:15 »
Unless your plot has real drainage problems, I wouldn't suggest anything drastic unless you want to do things like raised beds.

Adding organic matter improves soil structure so will always be a Good Thing.

Not sure about specific crop matters.

However, bear in mind that we had a very hot and dry June in general, and that despite the last two summers, the long-term trend is predicted to be warm wet winters and hotter drier summers (I think).

I'm a bit worried about all these predictions....... If the long, long, long term predictions are as inaccurate as those short long term predictions for this summer then who knows what sort of climate we are going to face in the future? We were told: "a warmer and sunnier summer ahead" and just look at it. Watering can sales have fallen through the floor!

On the plot it is hard to consider too larger changes for the following year as the weather is so unpredictable. I said this year I'd not even bother attempting out-door tomatoes on the plot next year having lost them to blight 3 years running. But - knowing my luck - next year will be warm and not too wet or humid, an ideal tomato growing summer and I won't have planted any!! (so I might just stick in one or two as a bit of insurance)

So... if we make any changes to account for extra wet or dry or hot I think they need to be just little steps within our normal range of veg growing techniques. What we might find is that we have to change the type of veg we grow.... somethings will be more successful than others...so increasing the successful crops and decreasing the problematic ones is probably still the way to go.

A bit of experimenting is the way to learn what works best and then, the following year, trying to remember what conditions were like when you did what it was that worked well... :wacko:

I find dry hot summers are easier to adjust growing veg to than soaking, chilly grey ones. It's much easier to add more water more often than it is to compensate for too much of it and not enough sun.

Reduce the number of onions grown and harvest a bit earlier when the sun shines rather than waiting for wet mid July when they are usually ready...??

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 23:17 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 23:47 »
What we might find is that we have to change the type of veg we grow....

That would be a bit boring........all of us growing paddy rice :lol:

It would be hell! I would never find my specs when they fell from my top pocket onto the plot!!  ::)

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 23:51 »

That would be a bit boring...........all of us growing paddy rice :D

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

madcat

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:46 »

Tried that with overwintering onions on a bed that is inclined to be damp after it was recommended on some gardening programme or other.  Half on a ridge, half on the flat.  The ones on the flat did much better.  The ones on the ridge pushed themselves out, didnt swell up as much etc etc.  All on the flat next year for me.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 10:05 »

That would be a bit boring........all of us growing paddy rice :lol:

It would be hell! I would never find my specs when they fell from my top pocket onto the plot!!  ::)

Perhaps you could wear swimming goggles over the top of 'em? :D
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

MikeyandAnnie

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 18:53 »
Thank you all for your replies to our post. 

Interesting to note that someone tried onions in different situations.  I'll be experimenting with different varieties I think, for example growing faster-maturing veg.

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 21:53 »

Tried that with overwintering onions on a bed that is inclined to be damp after it was recommended on some gardening programme or other.  Half on a ridge, half on the flat.  The ones on the flat did much better.  The ones on the ridge pushed themselves out, didnt swell up as much etc etc.  All on the flat next year for me.

Agreed, I tried this and most of them failed [mine were sets], absolute rubbish method.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 23:41 »
That is the fun thing / problem with gardening and veg growing - what works one year doesn't the next. The weather is not predicatble no matter what the season.

Different varieties of plants / veg respond differently in different parts of the country and on different soils from plot to plot.

It's all a bit of a gamble / luck / risk so I'd not really give up on anything and try almost everything...more than once.... and develop your own knowledge.

Books are a good guide but nothing beats the experience that each of us develops as time goes on. A bit of inventiveness from newer growers helps us all learn something from each other.  ;)

Despite promsing myself I wont grow out-door tomoatoes next year as they've failed 3 years running [due to blight] I will put in just a few - who knows next year may be the year when we really do get a hot dry summer!!  :)

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 08:37 »
I did find though that I got no white rot from onions at all when I grew them in raised beds full of sand - so will be repeating that this winter...

purplejaguar

• Experienced Member
  • I would love some Ducks one day :)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 11:48 »
That is the fun thing / problem with gardening and veg growing - what works one year doesn't the next. The weather is not predicatble no matter what the season.

Different varieties of plants / veg respond differently in different parts of the country and on different soils from plot to plot.

It's all a bit of a gamble / luck / risk so I'd not really give up on anything and try almost everything...more than once.... and develop your own knowledge.

Books are a good guide but nothing beats the experience that each of us develops as time goes on. A bit of inventiveness from newer growers helps us all learn something from each other.  ;)

Despite promsing myself I wont grow out-door tomoatoes next year as they've failed 3 years running [due to blight] I will put in just a few - who knows next year may be the year when we really do get a hot dry summer!!  :)

I am sorry to hear that your outdoor toms haven't done well so far  :(, I am shocked and stunned that mine have done well for my first attempt at growing outdoor toms  :blink: :D?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:50 by purplejaguar »
Chinese Proverb - Man who puts Meat and Peas in same pot, very unhygenic!! ;o)

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 14:33 »
Those toms look lovely and healthy - your soil looks not-too-wet too.  ;)

I wish you a good harvest but keep a careful eye on them!  :blink:

purplejaguar

• Experienced Member
  • I would love some Ducks one day :)
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 15:32 »
Thank you very much, I am chuffed with them  :lol:.

madcat

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 19:06 »
There isn't an emoticon for deep green with envy ...

xx
Weather

Started by BostonInbred on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 20:08
by Missy1970
xx
weather

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 12:10
by Amilo
xx
The Weather.....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 22:49
by GrannieAnnie
xx
weather

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 20:27
by Debz and Jon

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 28 queries.