Why does it have to be like this?

• 5 Replies

Howard

• Experienced Member
« on: July 29, 2009, 17:46 »
I have just spent the last hour or so up at the plot in the pouring rain, cutting the haulms off my potatoes which have been slaughtered by blight.  :(

I have put so much effort into them this year, I can't even begin to tell you how angry and frustrated I am.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Why does it have to be like this?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 17:52 »
Sorry to hear that mate.  :(

Try to concentrate on the other crops...

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 18:11 »
Soul destroying ,however not every year is the same.You have done the right thing by cutting the haulms to ground level.Hopefully the crop beneath will raise your spirits.

ben

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 19:47 »
This is our 3rd year at out allotment, and the previous 2 the potatoes have all been ruined by blight completely.

This year we didn't bother trying, and to be honest I don't think we'll ever bother again. They take up so much space, and when you can't harvest a single spud, its so upsetting. This year we planted loads of other things instead, and its great. With the possible exception of new potatoes, I can't tell the diff between main crop supermarket and home grown !

I did grow some Anya in a couple of potatoe bags on the patio though, which have been fine, and have satisfied my need to grow spuds !

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 20:10 »
I know exactly what you mean Howard. I arrived on site on Saturday morning to be greeted with the first signs of blight on my Desiree crop. Cut all the haulms off, and bagged them up. Not what I had planned to do at all.  >:( let's hope that everything below ground is O.K.) :unsure:
 I'm going to leave them in the ground for at least another couple of weeks to give the weather a chance to clear the spores away. You never know, we may have a 'BBQ summer' next year!  ::) :lol:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

beansticks

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 20:15 »
Quote from: Bombers
You never know, we may have a 'BBQ summer' next year!  ::) :lol:

Dont hold your breath. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 20:17 by DD. »

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 36 queries.