Potato Results - 2009

• 238 Replies

Lee G

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2009, 17:47 »
Kestrel (2nd Early) - Planted mid April, Excellent yield (6.5lb from the 2 I dug up 3 days ago), almost 20 spuds of a very good size, only 1 with slug damage.

Dug up all my Kestrel from the ground a couple of weeks ago, not weighed them but have two big potato sacks pretty much full.  I have noticed a few starting to rot though, and I did clean and dry them thoroughly before storing them.  Fingers crossed I don't lose too many.

This weekend I harvested the spuds sown on 31st May in sacks that were 1/3 full of well rotted horse manure, when I earthed them up I just added soil from the plot, and fed with pelletted chicken manure after 6 weeks.  The results:

Hunters:  10 free seed potatoes, sown 2 per bag, harvested 18.2 lbs of nice looking spuds - not tasted them yet.

Kestrel: 2 bags with 2 small seed pots in each one, harvested 7.4lbs

Maris Peer:  I was given a bag of Focus seed pots that they must have been giving away, they were really ropey to look at, soft with really long chits on them.  Was going to bin them but then thought "nothing ventured nothing gained", so sowed 2 bags with 4 in each bag, and harvested 7.2 lbs of nice looking spuds.  Again not eaten them yet.

Provided they store ok I'm a happy chappy  :D

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2009, 19:08 »
International kidney - dug early so didn't go smushy on boiling - but obviously smaller sized;
red duke of york, lots of them, good size but quite a lot of scab
Wilja - good crop
Arran pilots Ok - but TBH couldn't tell 'em apart from international kidney which weren't kidney shaped at all  :blink:

Still waiting for Sarpo Mira as long as poss as I'd like nice big un's (potatoes that is  :lol: )

Got impatient and dug my sarpos - the potatoes were HUUUGGGE, But - only 3 or 4 per plant and about 5 pea sized blobs, not sure why??? Even if I'd left them another 2 or 3 weeks, the littl'uns wouldn't have been edible size  :(

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2009, 22:59 »
all my potatoes went in at the end of April. 
Dug the Carlottes ages ago - love the taste, reasonable yield I thought.

Just dug the Pink Fir Apple - these are the knobbliest pots I've ever seen.  It looks like several pots have grown together.  Because of their odd shapes they are more vulnerable and  got damaged (bits broke off /  apart) more than usual when lifting, also the damp soil is in all the odd cracks so they are difficult to even clean or dry - you certainly can't peel them.   Big yield in lbs per plant but not so good in edible lbs as so many are damaged and have to be used straight away. However they are a lovely flavour.
trying to be green except when blue

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2009, 23:03 »
I wont be growing PFA again.  Cant taste much of anything with mine, and far too much hassle to prepare for any dish (and Ive tried). My mum's taking the rest to see if she can work her chef magic on them
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2009, 05:40 »
Picasso - very good yield, but quite a few  have been nibbled. Just the Sarpo Mira to go.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lotty lil

« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2009, 11:05 »
Soil type slight clay, slightly sandy. New plot, not used for anything (apart from marestail and other horrid weeds) 2+ years. Dug over and manured in winter.
1st earlies - Kestrel. Good crop - no damage of any kind (apart from those i speared accidentally!). Pretty good yield - much better than last year's Arran Pilot. A bit floury when cooked, but better when i started to steam them instead of boiling them. My son roasted some, and he said they were amazing.
2nd earlies - Charlotte. Very impressed with the yield - lots of decent sized spuds. No slug damage but a bit of wire worm. Nice and tasy.
I feel quite fortunate to have avoided most problems, despite neglecting them somewhat. ::)
But what i still haven't found is a really waxy new potato - i've been disappointed with the texture of both types (and the Arran's last year). Any suggestions anyone?

Paul Plots

« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2009, 11:27 »
all my potatoes went in at the end of April. 
Dug the Carlottes ages ago - love the taste, reasonable yield I thought.

Just dug the Pink Fir Apple - these are the knobbliest pots I've ever seen.  It looks like several pots have grown together.  Because of their odd shapes they are more vulnerable and  got damaged (bits broke off /  apart) more than usual when lifting, also the damp soil is in all the odd cracks so they are difficult to even clean or dry - you certainly can't peel them.   Big yield in lbs per plant but not so good in edible lbs as so many are damaged and have to be used straight away. However they are a lovely flavour.

I grew these just once - decided it would stay that way.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2009, 12:01 »
Sarpo Mira now up.

Highly delighted. Stood up to the blight, huge crop with scarely a slug hole.

pushrod

« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2009, 13:32 »

They are recommended to be boiled in their skins.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2009, 13:37 »
Lady Balfour (Second Early). Yielded 23kg from 3kg seed potaotes. Beautiful when boiled (taste like you've already doused 'em in butter). Not much slug damage
Vales Everest (Maincrop). Yielded 24.5kg from 3kg. Sturdier tubers, better for baking and soups. More slug damage than the second earlies.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2009, 17:29 »
I wont be growing PFA again.  Cant taste much of anything with mine, and far too much hassle to prepare for any dish (and Ive tried). My mum's taking the rest to see if she can work her chef magic on them

Sorry to be thick, but what potato is a PFA?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2009, 17:31 »
Pink Fir Apple.

Spana

« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2009, 21:34 »
I 've grown PFA a few times in the past.  I used to boil them in their skins then peel when they were cold.  They taste lovely cold or warmed up in the microwave with some butter.  I thought the skins very bitter and they are bl***y fiddly.

Salmo

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2009, 22:46 »
PFA make wonderful individual chips/roast in their skins. I can see they might be a problem to lift and clean on heavy soil.

matron

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2009, 06:22 »
I would love to tell you what the rest of my Desiree crop is like but it won't stop flippin raining long enough for me to dig them up and to add to that, this morning it is blowing a gale grrrrrrrrr.  :mad:

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.632 seconds with 37 queries.