marrow

• Decorative concrete overlay for garden paths & patios
Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2009, 21:12 »
Good yield from the charlottes this year

Bombers

« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2009, 21:29 »
I would love to tell you what the rest of my Desiree crop is like but it won't stop flippin raining long enough for me to dig them up and to add to that, this morning it is blowing a gale grrrrrrrrr.  :mad:
Almost finished my first 25Kg bag full and they're LUVVLY!!!  :tongue2: :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2009, 09:12 »
Kestrel - very pleased, good flavour - will grow again next year

Maincrop:  Sarpo Mira and Axona.  I forgot to mark the rows so don't know which was which but they all look the same to me.  Fantastic crop and they stood up well to blight - just a couple of leaves which I removed.  Some of them were huge and some plants produced half a bucket full of spuds.  Problem is they are a very dry potato and we don't rate them baked - you have to add loads of butter.  Roasted - they need a high temperature to make them go brown.  Mashed - again you have to add loads of butter and milk which piles on the calories. 

So next year, I might take my chances with blight and grow a more flavoursome potato - one waxy variety for baking and one which fluffs up well for roasters - any recommendations anyone?

diggerjoe

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2009, 13:36 »
Dug up two rows of Druid yesterday red skinned potatoes obviously loved by slugs but quite a few untouched and there were some whoppas baked them last night brilliant jackets will grow again next year. Dug up Markies poor crop meduim to small in size but good flavour only a bucket full from a row wheras the druid averaged 5 ordinary sized buckets per 6ft row. Vivaldi still have three rows in waiting till weekend but they have been reasonable. Just the rest of the picasso after that. Noted that the top right of my plot where Druid grew was a lot wetter than where i dug up the vivaldi which really would account for size.

Simalot

« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2009, 23:11 »
Re one of the previous posts from Barbarella, we also grew Sarpo Mira and the crop has been truly incredible.

We grew 5 short rows of 9 seed potatoes in each row and the total yield was approximately 125 KG!! Each row would fill a 25KG potato sack. However, I must agree that this variety is a very dry potato. They are totally unsuitable as jacket potatoes and the ones we tried to roast weren't that nice. However, we mustn't complain given the size of the yield. They're OK boiled and dont break up easily. There was also no slug damage.

Paul Plots

« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2009, 02:51 »
Kestrel - very pleased, good flavour - will grow again next year

Maincrop:  Sarpo Mira and Axona.  I forgot to mark the rows so don't know which was which but they all look the same to me.  Fantastic crop and they stood up well to blight - just a couple of leaves which I removed.  Some of them were huge and some plants produced half a bucket full of spuds.  Problem is they are a very dry potato and we don't rate them baked - you have to add loads of butter.  Roasted - they need a high temperature to make them go brown.  Mashed - again you have to add loads of butter and milk which piles on the calories. 

So next year, I might take my chances with blight and grow a more flavoursome potato - one waxy variety for baking and one which fluffs up well for roasters - any recommendations anyone?

Wija, Cara and Picasso......generally good all rounders for fine roast, baked and boiled spuds in MHO
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

BazTheGardener

« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2009, 19:46 »
Main crop Pink Fir Apple -  soil good not to heavey.

Good yeild and taste great boiled, need to be careful lifting will grow again, at least one row.
A good blast with hose helps clean all the soil out of the nobbley bits.
First Time Veg grower

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2009, 16:47 »
My pots update.

Charlottes, still eating them (stored in dry soil filled buckets in shed) and still great taste.
well pleased with them and i will be doing these again.

Kestrel, The king of spuds for me now, roasted, chipped and mashed fantastic all the way.

Just back and out of them 10 free Hunters we all got got, filled two hesian pot sacks full to the brim, a nice clean pot with no visible skin marks or rot worm damage. YET TO TASTE.

Maris piper, dug a row up before the rain came and got a hesian sack full again with another row to come out, again not a one sign of damage to them.

I am well pleased with my pots in my first year.
Carlisle

diggerjoe

« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50 »
Dug up two rows which I thought were the last of the Vivaldi to find when i read the label they were Valor. What a good crop, will try these again very little slug damage, good size and the two rows 6ft long filled the shopping trolley to the brim and a carrier bag. They roasted really well so should be good jackets. I really have grown far too many this year :nowink:

tode

« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2009, 10:10 »
Without doing a statistical (  :blush: ) analysis, it would seem that Charlotte has the most votes. We're certainly pleased with ours (and the chips they make  :tongue2: )

lottielearner

« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2009, 21:29 »
First year on clay soil in Bristol planted Cara and harvested two weeks ago to avoid blight excellent results with the best boiled spud I have ever tasted!!  :D yum!
Chuck it in - it won't grow in the packet!

Paul Plots

« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2009, 21:44 »
Cara = We like them - nice potato!!  :)

Charlottes? I dug mine early on - not a huge crop but excellent for "new potatoes".
Are they 2nd earlies? I forget.... :unsure:

We used Cara and Wilja for roast..... "chips" are out in our house  :(

tomcowton

« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2009, 14:59 »
Gah mine got rotten by the damp soil

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2009, 13:45 »
Just lifted the last of my Pink Fir Apple. Soil: uncultivated for over a decade, some clay, some bonfire ash, generally good.

Excellent crop and very tasty. Also virtually no wire worm/slug interest compared to the other varieties...

scezy

« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2009, 20:38 »
First year growing
Planted Maris Bard,lost all the crop to slugs.Don't know if i could of done anything to prevent this from happening.But i won't be growing them next year.
Was told of applying soot to the soil,but don't really know anyone with a coal fire.
Scezy

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.746 seconds with 36 queries.