Yet another Christmas spud question

• 4 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Yet another Christmas spud question
« on: July 28, 2009, 14:33 »
Apologies, I know there have been a few threads on this topic lately, and I have mooched through them for info... what I'm not sure (and sorry if it's a daft question), do I still chit them prior to putting them in?

Just picked up my seed potatoes from a local garden centre (Ulster Classic for roasties and Red Duke of York for boiled - both from JBA) and I'm wondering if there was actually time to chit or not, I believe they need to go in by mid-August latest?

Thanks in advance...

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Yet another Christmas spud question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 14:39 »
Chitting just gives them a head start, they'll grow even if you don't bother, which I don't.   From my one and only try at winter spuds I did learn that frost will kill 'em dead, so protect them well.
Cheese makes everything better.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 14:40 »
I carried mine home in a bag and popped them straight in the trench, they must be doing something cos we saw shoots yesterday. Maybe I am far to early but oh well every spuds a bonus

Mine went in two weeks ago and before you ask the name escapes me, but I will ask hubby later and I bet he says the same  :unsure:

If I ask the kids the name they will just say "Christmas spuds " so thats a lost cause  :lol:

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 14:54 »
Thanks!  :)

I'm in two minds whether to put them in the ground and then fleece them when the weather turns, or put them in a huge container I have, 'insulate' the sides with cardboard and again fleece the tops...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 14:59 »
Thanks!  :)

I'm in two minds whether to put them in the ground and then fleece them when the weather turns, or put them in a huge container I have, 'insulate' the sides with cardboard and again fleece the tops...

we tried in tubs last year and twice bubble wrapped the side and twice fleeced the tops and the frost wiped them out completely, hubby is hoping they may do better in the open ground. no idea on his reasons but he is one of those people that doesnt try something that fails more than once  :blush:

xx
Spud Question

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 21:31
by richyrich7
xx
Spud question

Started by orient96 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2018, 19:19
by rowlandwells
xx
Spud question

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 21:47
by devonbarmygardener
xx
spud question!

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 21:48
by digalotty

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 36 queries.