First early varieties

• 28 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
First early varieties
« on: July 28, 2009, 14:23 »
I think most of the people growing first early potatoes should have had a taste of them by now, so what were they like?  Which varieties did well?  Which tasted fantastic?  And which were disappointing?

I grew Dunluce (I wasn't intending to but they came free with a T&M order) and I like them but wasn't blown away.  They make a good crunchy roast potato but I really wanted something a bit less floury.  The flavour isn't bad but isn't really outstanding either, and while I wouldn't say no if someone gave me some free, I fancy trying something else next year.

Frog

• Experienced Member
Re: First early varieties
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 15:44 »
We grew Charlotte first earlies  :D. Very yummy! The skins rubbed off easily for our little monkies that won't eat spuds with skins on. We always cook too many each time, so we can have some cold the next day.  ;) Have only tried boiling them - didn't think they'd roast particularly well, but may give it a try!!Still got a few in the ground that we must get up, as the tops have died down.

Got Wilja (second earlies) ready too - our fave spud, a good all rounder and had lots of success with it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 16:04 »
Not wishing to be too pedantic, but Charlotte are also second earlies surely?

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Charlotte
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Frog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 16:20 »
DD you may well be right  :wub: though was sure the packet said they were first earlies!!
Yummy either way.

beansticks

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 17:56 »
[ Have only tried boiling them - didn't think they'd roast particularly well, but may give it a try!!Still got a few in the ground that we must get up, as the tops have died down.

I grew Charlotte and they roast rather well,also grew Pentland Javelin for the first time,and was well pleased.Grew Estima as a secondearly/early maincrop,yield was excellent.Not sure how long they will store(did ask a few days ago,but did not get a reply)however perhaps someone can advise me now.Next year i will try a different variety as long as they are not floury.

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 18:14 »
We grew some nice International Kidneys (aka Jersey Royals) in a raised bed BUT the three rows of Home Guard have been a big disappointment ...most are rotten - we've probably gained back about twice as many potatoes as we planted out in the first place! It's been very wet recently and we have clay soil ... we had a terrible crop last year with all that rain.  We planted three rows of Duke of York on the other half of the same plot. I'd planned to let them grown on to store as a main crop .... understood from the literature that I could do this .... BUT now I think we'll have to cut our losses and get them out. 
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 18:42 »
I've mentioned this on another thread, but I like to try different varieties each year, but always plant Pentland Javelin as a "failsafe!.

Tried some Swift this time, came out full of slug holes whereas the PJ's were just about perfect.

I sometimes wonder whether I should just stick with them.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 18:56 »
I've mentioned this on another thread, but I like to try different varieties each year, but always plant Pentland Javelin as a "failsafe!.

Have to agree my International kidney were terrible, badly scabbed, slug holes, poor yield and a very bland taste. My PJ were much better, not outstanding in anyway just better all round.

I've tried 6 varieties in 2 years - I'll keep trying new ones until I find something better than the PJs - you have to keep looking there might be something better  :D I do the same with the toms and the peppers.

bonfire

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 19:02 »
I  grew Lady Chrystl (Krystl?) which were very early, good crop and pretty good taste. Started digging them at the end of May and, as usual, now think I should have started a week earlier and would grow them again.
Charlotte second earlies overtook them and are terrific for taste but don't really enoy the drought in June. I have a good crop and almost all perfect but they tend to shed their sins when boiled - better when steamed. If you think I am mad talking about the drought - I am in East Sussex, dug a row of Charlotte last week and the ground was dry as a bone down at tuber level.

Later I will dig my first ever maincrop - Golden Wonder - and have no idea what to expect..........

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 19:32 »
Golden Wonder - and have no idea what to expect

Crisps :lol:

beansticks

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 19:40 »
Golden Wonder - and have no idea what to expect

Crisps :lol:

That is so funny Mum. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yabba

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 19:43 »
That is so funny Mum. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't encourage her! :O

¥

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 19:48 »
I'm digging/eating Nicola at the moment, they are amazingly tasty (IMO).  It's been my first year growing seed potatoes, I've always self chitted supermarket type ones before now but this year I'm doing it both ways to compare and so far the seed ones are much better in every way

PS try steaming your spuds, Learner gave me this advise last week and I've been amazed at the results  :)

down the lane

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 19:59 »
I grew pentland javlin for my first earlies, Grew really well and got a good crop but should have left them for another week or two (first time growing spuds and got carried away). No disease or problems. Second earlies were maris peer, tasted brilliant but tended to be a bit Scabby.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 20:05 »
We turned some of ours out of a bucket to see how they were doing, got enough for a meal - which is good, and very nice too! Got no idea what they were as we got given them - still contemplating some Christmas spuds now the buckets are getting freed up!! Yum yum!!  :D

I think I found a bee trying to nest in the soil too - that was a bit weird?!

xx
varieties to sow early september?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2006, 12:28
by Ali
xx
Early potato varieties

Started by celjaci on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 19:48
by Yorkie
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.