can somebody help?

• 20 Replies

Owainbax

can somebody help?
« on: April 22, 2007, 13:05 »
I have bought six hens that i was told that were all laying the person that i bought them off , he bought them off a person that owns about 4 thousand and he sells off about a dozen a week BUT i have had these chickens now for about two weeks and they're only laying on average two eggs a day. We are sure that one is definatly laying once a day and we dont know where the other one comes from, but also every other day we often get a soft shelled one , but we know the solution to the soft egg. But i just want ot know why we are only getting about two eggs of six chickens? or i have i just been ripped off? They all seem very happy in their new place, they're all tame because every time we go in the pen they come to see us, they have plenty of room and shelter to lay and we feed them layers pellets mixed with corn and leftovers and a bit oyster shell . so can someone  please help?

WG.

can somebody help?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 13:30 »
I don't do chickens sorry but WELCOME to the forum Owainbax.   A chicken person will be along in a bit.

purplebat

can somebody help?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 14:08 »
Hi Oxwainbax, it may just be that they are taking a while to settle in; mine took weeks to start laying proprly, so long s they're getting their oyster shell and plenty of greens they'll soon start laying, they an be quite erratic at times, some days I get 8 eggs fom 8 hens other days I get only 3 or 4, good luck  :D
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Owainbax

can somebody help?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 14:26 »
Thanks for the advice that might be it as i have only had them for two weeks but one has definately settled in and that's nice to know

purplebat

can somebody help?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 14:27 »
the rest will surely follow!  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
can somebody help?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 17:24 »
If the first bloke is selling them off and he has 4,000, sounds like he is getting ready for new POL's to come in, so yours would be about 74 weeks old now.  They don't lay as much when they get older.  We have 64 ex battery chickens and we are getting 36 eggs a day.  I'm not thta bothered that we are only getting just over 50% because they have been paying for themselves as we sell the eggs from the front garden.

How much did you pay for them?  Older hens are cheaper.  If they are happy, they will lay more often as they get more used to you, and they will run to you when they see you.  I feel like the pied piper sometimes, I only have to walk outside the back door and they are flying across the run to get to the fence first in case i have something nice for them to eat!!!

Owainbax

can somebody help?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 19:52 »
They do come running to me every time and i am sure that they are used to me by now and also does anyone know how to tell how old a chicken is? because we were told that they were 10 months old and that all of them were laying and yet they have everything they need and we are only getting two eggs from six hens  :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
can somebody help?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 20:50 »
How much corn and leftovers are you givin them ? I've found with mine you have to be pretty strict with leftovers specially things that are high carb like pasta, rice, etc as they get to fat and fat hens lay less.

Dont think you can really tell how old a hens is but I have noticed with mine as they have got older the scales on their legs seem to be more prominent. if that makes any sense. :?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Owainbax

can somebody help?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 16:12 »
Thanks that might be the problem

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
can somebody help?
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 23:48 »
I also have similar egg days. Some times I will get 8 eggs from 9 hens and some fays only 3 or 4. The same for my bantams, sometimes they all lay everyday and sometimes not.  I have kept ex battery hens b4, and they are usually sold at around 10-11 months old, so I'm sure they have a while left yet to fill your egg boxes.

diamond_lil

can somebody help?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 16:38 »
We bought some 'point of lay' Warrens last September and they have only started laying in the last 6 weeks or so. They still have quite a lot of catching up to do to pay for their winter keep! (They have provided a lot of entertainment, so I can't really complain.) However, what kick started them laying was, I think, keeping them in the coop until 11:30 ish and feeding them on a mixture of corn and layer's pellets. Once they are out they can eat what they like but I think the layer's pellets may have got their hormones back in line. The other advantage of keeping them in a little longer is that we can find the eggs!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
can somebody help?
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 20:00 »
Daylight also affects laying shorter days less or no eggs, what really gets em going is the daylight hours increasing. The only other option is to give them artificial light to make up the daylight hours, but you need enough room indoors for them to not fall out with each other.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
can somebody help?
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 20:22 »
But the dys are getting longer now Richy, and my hens are now laying less, so I've put them on a diet!!!!

for the past few days we are getting 21 eggs out of 64 chooks!!!!!  I keep showing them the saucepan, but it doesn't help!!! :twisted:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
can somebody help?
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 20:32 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
But the dys are getting longer now Richy, and my hens are now laying less, so I've put them on a diet!!!!

for the past few days we are getting 21 eggs out of 64 chooks!!!!!  I keep showing them the saucepan, but it doesn't help!!! :twisted:

I tried that did'nt work, ain't got the heart to neck 'em....yet  :lol:  you know what they say fat hens lay no eggs, but my ain't hens just plain greedy  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
can somebody help?
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 20:33 »
Don't forget yours are "older" hydrids grannie.  Farmers getot rid of them at 72 weeks because they are now not commercially efficient egg producers.  They are still doing a good job for you though  :D

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 36 queries.