how do you get a hen and her chicks in??

• 18 Replies

broodyhen

how do you get a hen and her chicks in??
« on: July 27, 2009, 21:36 »
I have seriously just had a nightmare  :blink: Pat and her 5 chicks have been roaming today (first day she has brought them out) and she WOULD NOT go back in to roost  :ohmy: Her coop is like an apartment on stilts is the best way to describe it!

We tried everything, she even went up the ramp but her chicks wouldn't follow so she jumped straight back down. In the finish after deleberating hubby had to 'glove up' and physically pick her and put her inside then follow up with chick after chick.  Now we feel terrible  :( that we had to pick them all up to go into roost and feel that should have been her job to show them where to go and what to do. We felt we had no choice as it has dropped cold and she is protected by the wire (which goes underneath the coop) but feel they were really at risk. Will she harm the chicks now that we had to intervene??? Also should I let them out tomorrow as we don't want to go through that again for fear of 'butting in' when Pat and nature should be doing there thing  :unsure:

Could do (yet again) with some advice folks please!  :D

broodyhen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: how do you get a hen and her chicks in??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 21:43 »
I had to do this with my little ones as they couldn't climb the ramp. I put all 5 babies in and then mum followed. Don't worry when they get a little bit older they will manage it, and mum knows you so she won't mind  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

broodyhen

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 21:49 »
aww thank you so much for that! i never thought of doing it the other way round  :wacko: it getting the chicks in first. 

but do i let them out tomorrow? - i dont think i could go through that again  :unsure:

broodyhen

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 21:55 »
yes and for the next week or two you will have to help them back inside. They will get upset and cry for mum  while you are trying to catch hold of them but don't worry as soon as they are snuggled down together they will be ok. In a couple of weeks they will be able to fly up (mine learnt to fly up before they could walk up the ramp  :lol:)

broodyhen

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 22:01 »
right ok  ;) i'll have a go tomorrow.... thanks again i really feel pathetic asking such silly questions but our little gang mean to world to us  :D and i want to do the best thing for them.

broodyhen

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 22:02 »
no such thing as a silly question on here,  :D, and don't worry they will soon get the hang of things.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 22:42 »
I still haven't let mum and chicks out of their run for fear of not getting them back in again  ::)

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 22:43 »
mixed corn or meal worms will get them back in cara  :D

broodyhen

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:14 »
think i spotted red mites this morning  :mad: when can i clean the coop out??? got a wary hen and 5 chicks to consider  :unsure: i jeyes fluid it last thursday in preparation for the eminate arrivals! is it too early and am i being too fussy ??

broodyhen

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:19 »
No you are not being too fussy, if you have got red mites sort it out as soon as possible (ie this morning so the coop has time to dry before tonight). Red mites can kill and having young ones they will be the first. Sorry if this sounds like I am being nasty but you really do need to act asap. Joyxx

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 08:30 »
can you get hold of poultry shield or diatom? jeyes wont really do much in respect of killing red mite. Joyfull is spot on, redmite can easily kill a broody hen and chicks I'm afraid :(

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34 »
Broodyhen where abouts are you - perhaps someone on here is local who might have some poultry shield if you can't get any. joyxx

broodyhen

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39 »
oh god  :(

i did actually purchase some stuff at the weekend just in case - i know that jeyes fluid doesnt kill red mite but just wanted the area clean. i have got 'red mite concentrate' its a liquid form any good??? also got poultry louse powder - which you dust in the bedding also any good???

i now feel slightly panicky  :unsure:

broodyhen

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 08:53 »
Don't know what the redmite concentrate is as I use poultry shield and diatom. Just follow the directions on the bottle - I assume you have to dilute it and then spray it (I have a small preasure sprayer - the type you get from b&q what you pump up to preasurize it) and get it into all the nooks and crannies (don't forget the roof). When dry I then rub diatom - your louse powder may also be ok - into the wood. put down clean bedding (ideally burn the old stuff as they can live in it for months  :mad:) and sprinkle with powder again. If you suspect fleas, ticks or lice as well - broodys can be susseptable(sp?) to them then ask your vet for some frontline - you will have to sign for this as it isn't tested on chickens. Most people use the stuff fot kittens but my vet gave me the spray type on the instructions to use it very very sparingly especially on the little ones. I think with the drops you put 1 drop on the chicks and 2 on the adults between the shoulder blades - with the spray they just have a very little squirt.
No need to feel panicky - you have got yourself prepared and spotted them early on - rather than waiting until you got them and then having to try and get the stuff. Now are you sure they are red mite and not those little red spidery things??

broodyhen

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34 »
just completely cleaned it out! yeah i had dilute it down then sprayed it i did the nooks and crannies little *  :mad: well they were like a little brown circle thing that moves?? i assumed red mite cos there were about 5 of them?? i lost a warren last week so im conscious of anything crawly on my hens.....dont think she died of red mite but there were a hell of alot of lice on her :(

i'll let it dry out then rub the powder into wood - then put clean bedding shavings down then dust with powder again. thank you so much for your help  :)

broodyhen

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.851 seconds with 38 queries.