Courgette hiccough

• 3 Replies

hamstergbert

Courgette hiccough
« on: July 27, 2009, 18:39 »
Not sure what do be ailing a couple of my courgettes - pictures attached.  One of them had about 2/3 of the leaves brown, dry and brittle, although the leaf stems remained green and 'normal' - is this likely to be sun scorching or something - it happened in the space of about 36 hours.  The fruits on the plant seem to be staying small and loafing around, watching TV, phoning out for pizzas, that sort of thing, simply not pulling their weight.

The others are all showing grey spots to one degree or another as per the other picture, although the fruiting appears thus far to be unaffected - is it safe to ignore?    WHatever it is has hit them separately - they are scattered widely around the garden, no two nearer than about fifteen feet apart.

For both sets, the dried up papyrus and the plooky spots, is it still normally OK to compost them or would the general advice be to play safe and burn 'em?

Probably concerned over nothing but it would be nice to know one way or t'other and this is  definitely the right place to ask!
LizTaylorSkin.jpg
TeenageAcne.jpg
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

lina

Re: Courgette hiccough
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 18:43 »
My courgettes always to seem to get those silver / grey spots as the season goes on.  I assumed they were 'normal' - but would be interested to find out what the scientific explanation is.

:)

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 19:03 »
The grey patches are normal markings but if it looks like mould patches its whitemould. Mine got it after all the very wet weather last wek. I've cut the affected leaves of but read it can be treated with 1 part milk 4 part water spray  :)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 21:22 »
My courgette plants had those grey spots on the leaves from very early on, but they have produced an unbelievable number of courgettes...
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

xx
courgette help

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 16:42
by Spana
xx
If it looks like a courgette, its a courgette, right?

Started by rawrecruit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 21:22
by Beetroot queen
xx
Courgette

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 16:03
by KT
xx
courgette

Started by rink123 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 19:30
by realfood

Page created in 0.937 seconds with 36 queries.