A few general questions . . .

• 2 Replies

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
A few general questions . . .
« on: July 27, 2009, 13:14 »
Hi all

Having more than doubled my growing capacity by the addition of 3 new raised beds in the back garden last spring, I'm having the best year ever so far in growing stuff in the three years I've been in this house.

However, it also means I'm growing stuff I've not gorwn before and have some questions around it. Here goes:

1. Broccoli and Sprouts - I grew three broccoli and two sprouts plants last year which were decimated by Cabbage White caterpillars and nothing came of them. The y really were stripped to the bone. This year, I planted three of each in a bed about 1.4m square, and erected a mesh cage around them. So far so good, lots of Cabbage Whites fluttering around them in a very annoyed manner, but no sign of caterpillars. However, the plants are now getting very high (sprouts are at 4ft, broccoli at 3ft) and I've realised I don't actualy know when to expect a harvest. I guess sprouts come later in the year (which is why we eat them at Christmas etc) but what about broccoli? Should I be seeing fruits starting to form yet - and, as I'm not, is there anything I should be doing. So far, I've simply watered them and watched them expand!

2. Courgettes - my garden LOVES courgettes. No matter where I seem to put them, they go mad. This year I was a bit clever (!) and restricted myself to two plants - one in a raised bed, one in a normal bed that gave me a good harvest a couple of years back. They're huge and they're giving me umpteen courgettes - all good. However, the plants themselves are starting to take over and shadow others - the one in the raised bed in particular is overhanging my leeks and carrots. Question is, can I cut back some of the larger stalks and leaves without damaging the plant's fruiting capacity?

3. Butternut Squash - Last year I grew one plant in a greenhouse bed. The plant itself was very successful, big, vigorous and healthy, I had to do a lot of tying back to ensure it didn't take over the greenhouse. However, it never fruited - in fact, it hardly even flowered. So far this year, the same pattern is emerging, however, right now there are a couple of nice big flowers. Should I be cross-pollinating with the old paintbrush?

Thanks all!
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Re: A few general questions . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 16:12 »
Hi smudgeboy,

Sounds like you're doing fine.
1) Sprouts do produce over winter & spring - the earlier they are depends on variety.
Your broccoli will produce when it's ready. Different varieties produce spears in either summer, autumn or winter/spring. You need to check what it said on your seed packets or plant labels.

2) Yes you can remove some of your courgette leaves without any problems.

3) Butternut squash like hot conditions & we aren't exactly experiencing those are we? You can hand pollinate, but insects will usually do it much more efficiently. You will also need both male & female flowers - the females have an immature fruit behind the flowers, males just have a stalk. Just pick a male flower & stick it into the female flowers rather than using a paintbrush.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Re: A few general questions . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 21:22 »
Thank you Greengirl - mostly answers that involve little work - which is good  :D

xx
general question

Started by gallowman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 21:48
by gallowman
xx
General Question

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 16:30
by billathome65
xx
Which general fertiliser is best

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 18:20
by craggy
xx
General Advice

Started by Brutus on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 21:04
by Brutus

Page created in 1.12 seconds with 36 queries.