Roundup Warning!

• 39 Replies

the novice

Re: Roundup Warning!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 13:31 »
Hi

My first post on this site - ever.

I have taken on an overgrown allotment with quite established couch grass and that grotty horse tail stuff. Having cut it down with brush cutter (was over a metre high) I'm left with pretty heavy undergrowth.

The plot is a 1/4 rude. Around 3m x 88m. I feel I don't have a choice about using a heavy duty weedkiller.

I have a toddler. So it does worry me silly, using this stuff when I hope to grow things for him to eat next year. But the site is so large... I can't dig it all out by myself. So I think that's where these harsher weedkillers can really help - and that's from someone who'd like to grow organically!!

Taking on the plot looks like it will cost me over £300 to get it cleared up, fenced (rabbits a problem but no fence there), covered with sheeting etc. Feeling a bit daunted as it is.

Charlotte

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 13:36 »
John's article on clearing a new allotment might be just what you need :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php

matilda duck

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 13:43 »
Surley it's up to us good, sensible :wacko: people who have got brains in our heads, to decide what WE should use on OUR gardens/alotments!!!!! 
 NO-one on this site speaks about John like that!!!!! :ohmy:
Especially not a newbie :blink:. 
Sorry rant over    I'll get my coat now shall I :mad:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 13:45 »
Well said Matilda  :D

the novice

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 13:46 »
Thanks for the link - fantastic info.

Ringing around carpet fitters at the mo to get any old bits from their jobs. It's a big plot. And the rules are that any covering has to be porous. The plot next to mine has taurps and has caused flooding on neighbouring plots, damaging crops.

Thanks again for the help.  :D :D Will check the forums for where to get help on starting out (if I need more help).

matilda duck

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 13:48 »
Thankyou Auntie.   I thought I was heading on the norty step then :wub:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 13:50 »
Ringing around carpet fitters at the mo to get any old bits from their jobs.

Please think again about the carpet.

Apart from being unsightly, it can leech chemicals into the soil from the dyes and certain weeds can root through it making it hard to remove.

Many councils ban its use.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

the novice

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 13:57 »
Please think again about the carpet.

Oh no!!!!! The fellas at the allotment suggested it as the affordable alternative to the matting stuff. Urghhhh....  I didn't realise how much getting a plot up and running would cost!

Okay. Carpet rethink.  ;)

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 14:05 »
I was just reading through John second book (The Essential Allotment Guide) and I must say that the recommendation to use Roundup to clear ground is quite irresponsible.

All I can say is that before you use Roundup (or any chemicals for that matter) you really need to search the internet for more information on Roundup (and the company that makes this - Monsanto). I've seen a lot of scary information on this.

This is just a warning NOT to use Roundup!

... oh noes the sky is falling down.
Sorry ill make up my own mind

Parsnip

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 14:10 »
I was just reading through John second book (The Essential Allotment Guide) and I must say that the recommendation to use Roundup to clear ground is quite irresponsible.

All I can say is that before you use Roundup (or any chemicals for that matter) you really need to search the internet for more information on Roundup (and the company that makes this - Monsanto). I've seen a lot of scary information on this.

This is just a warning NOT to use Roundup!

You Sir, are very rude!

I consider myself a relatively intelligent individual. I think I can make my own mind up thank you! ::)

I have both of Johns books he doesn't advocate that you use Roundup   it's described as an alternative which when trying to be balanced is perfectly reasonable ::). I have in fact used it myself when I was being overwhelmed by weeds...And yes I did research it, in fact the topic has been done to death on here.

I just wish they'd invent something to completely nuke horseradish - i'm losing the battle with that and it's quite disheartening.. :(

matilda duck

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 14:14 »
Quote from: Parsnip link

You Sir, are very rude!
[/quote
:tongue2: :lol: :lol:  Made me laugh that did snippy :lol:

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 14:31 »
Steven Dent, I found your approach to this subject very patronizing to me, and  also found your only objective seemed to be to ridicule John. I don't think you have made many friends on this forum today. >:(
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 14:46 »
Steven Dent, I found your approach to this subject very patronizing to me, and  also found your only objective seemed to be to ridicule John. I don't think you have made many friends on this forum today. >:(

Please - I didn't take it that way, everyone's allowed an opinion. I appreciate the posts supporting me but honestly, we can differ without it being personal.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Steven Dent

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 15:48 »
John, please don't take any offense at all, that isn't how I meant this post to be. Your books are great, just this one point really hit a nerve with me.

beansticks

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 15:57 »
I know that John favours everybody stating their opinion,but Steve you would be wise to re-read your threads before posting.

xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh
xx
using roundup?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:49
by compostqueen
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo
xx
Using Roundup

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:16
by shaun

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 38 queries.