Roundup Warning!

• 39 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Roundup Warning!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 16:04 »
Please everyone - I didn't take offence at all. Steven raised a point and I answered it. Honestly, we can differ on something without losing sleep. It's lovely that so many people leap to my defence but I understand what Steven is getting at.

I think it's up to people to decide for themselves what way to go. I use glyphosate on the paths and if I'm having a game with couch or bindweed - otherwise, the hoe is enough.

And now to the plot!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 16:43 »
I've used glyphosate for clearing my new plot - saved me months of work.  I never need to use it on my established plot.

All things in moderation or when it's the best choice for the circumstances.

Yabba

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 18:07 »
John, please don't take any offense at all, that isn't how I meant this post to be. Your books are great, just this one point really hit a nerve with me.

Sorry to tell you, but your opening post looked more like an attack than a disagreement ... as you probably guessed by now ;)

Please - I didn't take it that way, everyone's allowed an opinion. I appreciate the posts supporting me but honestly, we can differ without it being personal.

Well said :D

Please everyone - I didn't take offence at all. Steven raised a point and I answered
I think it's up to people to decide for themselves what way to go. I use glyphosate on the paths and if I'm having a game with couch or bindweed - otherwise, the hoe is enough.

We use something far more lethal than that to kill the weeds in the dahlia beds ( still got bl@@dy mares tail though ... grr ), but we don't eat those, my own little patch I keep as chemical free as possible, but I'm not organic either.

Each to their own eh?

¥

savbo

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 18:10 »
going back to the carpet posts...it took us an age to lift rotting and stringy bits of carpet, that weren't doing much but making a seed bed anyway - then throwing it all in the skip (we half-filled a new skip with stuff from our wee half-plot alone) - so I am right with DD on this one. this winter I'm going to buy some good 100gsm weed fabric, tack it to lengths of wood (to make rolling easier and stop fraying) and hopefully get 3 or 4 years for my £40...

M

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 18:11 »
this winter I'm going to buy some good 100gsm weed fabric, tack it to lengths of wood (to make rolling easier and stop fraying)

What a good idea :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 19:59 »
Please think again about the carpet.

Oh no!!!!! The fellas at the allotment suggested it as the affordable alternative to the matting stuff. Urghhhh....  I didn't realise how much getting a plot up and running would cost!

Okay. Carpet rethink.  ;)

Use cardboard and newspaper as a mulch works very very well, I've found if you get a full newspaper open it up in the middle dunk it for a few seconds or so in water, then lay that out carry on like that overlapping as you go. It will last a good year, you can always put grass mowing's etc over the top to disguise. Use your imagination and think " out of the box" lotties should be cheap and cheerful IMHO.

Keep up the good work and please let us know how you get on.   :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

loam ranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 20:32 »
Just afew words regarding using trickle bars etc  to apply herbicides, I alway use a fine spray the reason being that trickle bars actually apply too much weedkiller causing most of it run off the weeds onto the soil therefore wasting it ( learned this during my training on using herbicides).  If using as per instructions it should only be applied during calm conditions  .
Geoff

digalotty

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 21:52 »
one minuite we have someone telling us that we will loose the right to freedom of speech and now we got someone telling us that we cant use a weedkiller!....
we are all adults and can make up our own minds on what to and not to do,  if you want to point out a danger or give air to caution thats ok but i object to being told what to do by a person who has no wright to do so,  i also find your statement about john and his book unfair and should therefor offer a apology.
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 21:59 »
John has said his piece on here and is not upset by it.

Steven has replied.

I think enough has now been said and it is time to move on.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 22:03 »
Folks,

John has already posted on this thread in an attempt to move the discussion forward:

Please everyone - I didn't take offence at all. Steven raised a point and I answered it. Honestly, we can differ on something without losing sleep. It's lovely that so many people leap to my defence but I understand what Steven is getting at.

And now to the plot!

If it continues to revert to being heated, one of the mods will lock the thread.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh
xx
using roundup?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:49
by compostqueen
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo
xx
Using Roundup

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:16
by shaun

Page created in 0.596 seconds with 36 queries.