Roundup Warning!

• 39 Replies

Steven Dent

Roundup Warning!
« on: July 27, 2009, 00:27 »
I was just reading through John second book (The Essential Allotment Guide) and I must say that the recommendation to use Roundup to clear ground is quite irresponsible.

All I can say is that before you use Roundup (or any chemicals for that matter) you really need to search the internet for more information on Roundup (and the company that makes this - Monsanto). I've seen a lot of scary information on this.

This is just a warning NOT to use Roundup!

Faz

• Experienced Member
Re: Roundup Warning!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:20 »
I do believe that there is enough information available to allow people to make their own decisions with regards to Round-up and other weedkillers, pesticides and chemical treatments. Each can decide based on their own circumstances.

Incidentally, you don't have to use Round-up, there are other glyphosphate containing herbicides available and they are mostly cheaper.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:24 »
Thank you, Faz.

A sensible well-balanced take on the subject.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:51 »
And we don't usually tell John he is irresponsible, he's the most responsible man I know!

Roundup like anything else is dangerous in the wrong hands, but most of us are responsible enough to use it properly.  We actually use clinic on our driveway as roundup doesn't seem to do much for the creeping butercup!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:57 »
I do think that if you have a problem with John's recommendation you should have sent him a message and not posted it on an open forum, And leave it up to others as to weather they use it or not.  Im going to go with Faz on this one.
Thanks
Kris

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:03 »
Nowhere do I claim to be a totally organic gardener, or that the books are about organic growing. I do believe in minimising chemical inputs, especially herbicides and pesticides so have offered the choice between conventional methods and organic methods throughout.

In fact I strongly disagree with some of the recommendations of the organic movement now. For example, the use of plastic sheeting to suppress weed growth and clear a patch. It strikes me that masses of torn bits of plastic made from hydrocarbons is not a green environmental solution.

I'm afraid I can't accept that use of glyphosate for an initial clearance of a site is "irresponsible". I make the point about using all chemicals strictly in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.

The vast majority of scientific evidence is that glyphosate is safe for gardeners when used like that.

I cleared my first allotment manually and it was hard and lengthy work - having seen  would be organic growers take on plots when they have neither the time or the energy to do it that way leads me to the conclusion they'd be better using a spray and actually coping with the plot rather than leaving a mess behind as they give up in despair.

In the 33 years since I met Lawrence D Hills, the founder of the HDRA and joined the HDRA, I've seen 'organic' gardening develop from a practical experimental method to a theological philosophy which is why I gave up my membership last year.

I appreciate your post, Rangerkriss, but I've nothing to hide and am quite happy to address criticisms.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:28 »
So there you are! John is always watching us.

Some of the cheap off-patent glyphosates use different glyphosate salts and do not have some of the wetters added that are in Roundup. I doubt that you can notice the difference in the garden. As always read the labels carefully as some are different concentrations and require more to be applied, which may offset the price difference.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:37 »
Agreed salmo.  When I "judicously" use any weedkiller containing glyphosate I find generics can sometimes not work as well.
Cheese makes everything better.

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:24 »
"company that makes this - Monsanto). I've seen a lot of scary information on this."

Was it on life after the oil crash by any chance?
They were convinced that US soldiers were going to destroy the entire worlds garlic crop and monsanto would be te worlds sole supplier recently.
June passed without note.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Dominic

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 12:31 »
A slightly more serious response.
I've used some Tesco roundup for killing some weeds, in an area I dont want anything at all to grow.
Bit upset at its punny ness really.
I've also used it on some weeds in a neighbours garden, and on some hedge type thing I'm trying to kill.

Do be careful with it, a sudden gust of wind when I was spraying has killed my giant sage and a huge patch of grass.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:33 »
It's best not to spray but use a trickle bar on a red watering can (only used for weed killer). 

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 12:34 »
For a larger area use a watering can, less chance of drift then.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 12:35 »
Beat you Ice  ;) ;)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 12:38 »
Goldurn my slow typing. :D

gillie

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 13:16 »
For a larger area use a watering can, less chance of drift then.

... but be sure that the rose or trickle bar is very firmly attached to the can.  Otherwise it can fall off and Whoosh! you have weedkiller all over the place - and you will probably get it on your hands sorting the can out.

Glyphosate works best on young weeds that are growing strongly in the spring.  If you wait until the weeds are going  up to flower they are more resistant.  The official instructions are to cut down flowering or seeding weeds and then treat the regrowth.

Gillie

xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh
xx
using roundup?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:49
by compostqueen
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo
xx
Using Roundup

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:16
by shaun

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 36 queries.