cauliflower

• 28 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: cauliflower
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 18:09 »
I'm onto the over winter ones now & will probably start Clapton going again around January.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

beansticks

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 18:22 »
I have had the best results this year,with a variety called Candid Charm,i staggered the sowing of 24 plants and had no failures with good sized curds. I agree with DD i also think the debris netting provides the perfect environment for cauli's.
Ate a couple of the cauli's froze the rest.

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 18:26 »
Debris netting it is then - but I can't decide which width would be the most use 2m or 3m.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 18:37 »
I'd go for the 3m every time.  If you imagine how high some plants can get, that's a lot of netting needed to reach the ground.  You can always fold the edges under where you don't need all of the width.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 18:37 »
I'm onto the over winter ones now & will probably start Clapton going again around January.

Right then .. Gimme a shout in Jan  ... or else I'll forget about them again lol

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 18:49 »
Not a bad guess - just checked.

Sown on Jan 11, germinated Jan 24, first eaten July 3rd.

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 00:39 »
Debris netting it is then - but I can't decide which width would be the most use 2m or 3m.

Thanks for the advice.... my Purple Sprouting often turns into minature trees so it makes sense  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 15:07 »
Just in case its of any help there are some pictures of my debris netting "frames" on my blog. Lots of other ways of supporting it though.

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 01:08 »
Just in case its of any help there are some pictures of my debris netting "frames" on my blog. Lots of other ways of supporting it though.

Thanks for sharing the pictures - really useful to see... and the debris netting set-up looks excellent.

If only I had a roll of 1/2″ Blue MDPE underground water pipe I'd be down the plot tomorrow copying your idea.  ;)  Instead I will have to make do with a combination of canes and/or timber. Such a shame the lads laying new water-pipes up the road haven't a wee bit spare!!  ::)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 12:19 »
Canes with balls on the top, or old plastic milk bottles, or somesuch, will do just as well I'm sure :)

I don;t think it needs a rigid frame - which I suspect some folk contemplate, and that maybe even puts them off altogether

Key thing for me was I couldn't believe how little time it took. I had expected at least some faffing about! (which is the norm with pretty much anything else I do in the DIY sense'

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 13:15 »
I just knock lengths of rough cut, pressure treated battens into the ground, sawn off to the length appropriate to the crop.

Being just rough cut it's quite cheap and given the fine mesh of the netting, no way can it slip down them.

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 14:31 »
Thanks DD and Kristen - I think it'll be either off-cuts of wood as I have a few bits from the old shed or canes with tops...  :)

That'll do me in the absence of blue water pipe.... I can't see the local water company being keen to donate a roll  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 14:33 »
If you use canes, make sure they are quite stout, this stuff is heavy - especially when wet, even more so with snow on it.

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 14:36 »
If you use canes, make sure they are quite stout, this stuff is heavy - especially when wet, even more so with snow on it.

Many thanks for this tip - it makes a good deal of sense. We certainly have enough rain to add to the weight but not sure we are due (down south) for a heavy snowfall for the next few years as we had one a year or two back (famous last words)  ::)

xx
cauliflower

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 12:55
by harry
xx
Cauliflower

Started by subaru on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 07:02
by gobs
xx
cauliflower

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 07:21
by m1ckz
xx
my first cauliflower

Started by tallgingerbloke on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 20:21
by chris.selvey

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 36 queries.