Onion devastation - again!

• 9 Replies

Griffo

Onion devastation - again!
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:55 »
For the third year running my onions are smothered in mildew (downy?) and rapidly deteriorating.  All the rain we have had in late June and through July has wreaked havoc, just as it did for the previous 2 years.

At least last year they survived until the third week in August. I am now faced with lifting them all, before they're ripe and storing them in my outbuilding to dry off. Furthermore, my recently transplanted leeks are showing signs of rust, same as last year but earlier. Trouble here is, they haven't grown much since transplanting, so not much hope of any crop at all!

As the weather has been (largely) the same for the last 3 years, must we assume this is the way of things now, with 'climate change'. If so, it probably means that the only onions I can grow will be the 'Japanese' over-wintered ones and no leeks at all!

This is a really grim prospect as they are two of our most important crops.

Anyone else suffering the same fate?

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
Re: Onion devastation - again!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 10:40 »
Sounds like a sad story - not had the problem you mention in York.  Although we do tend to get shielded by the penines  :)  Doesn't stop the river floods though  ??? 

Have you thought about installing proper drainage?  It might be your plot that is the problem, in addition to the unfavourable weather...

Hope it improves next year.
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

Griffo

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 13:18 »
All my vegetables are grown in raised beds, so I doubt if drainage is the cause. I believe it is the incessant rain coupled with low(ish) temperatures.

Would soil acidity have any bearing? I have been wondering if my soil might be turning a bit acidic, as I haven't added any lime for years.

I must get a soil tester - any recomendations (or is that a subject for another thread)?

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 15:31 »
GRIFFO
Your problem is airbourne nothing to do with Ph or drainage, you were lucky to get them so far on into aug last year ours went down in june.Last year I looked at my onions and thought they are looking great that afternoon we had a shower for about 15 min when I went up the lottie next day it looked like someone had covered the onions in soot I tried to spray it off with dithane but the damage was done and in the following days the leaves started to collapes. Four years ago I did manage to grow some Robinson mammoth onions to a good size and every year I keep telling myself I might be able to do so again.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 16:10 »
Hello Griffo: My onion problem is white rot not mildew and I have lifted all my white onions to dry out. Reds seem to be OK.
I googled 'onion downey' and got several sites including the RHS. This is a soil fungus which can stay in the soil for 5 years, for which there is no chemical cure. You probably need to relocate your onion bed. I have grown onions in very large pots (7 to a pot) and had some control with sheltering and exposure in the sun etc.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 16:16 »
While onions do like water, they can't deal with an overabundance and will quickly start to rot.
Griffo, try growing them under a short polytunnel, maybe 3 ft tall, next year. That way you can regulate the amount of water and they'll get the warmth they need for a successful crop.
White rot is another problem. It takes 15-20 yrs for the fungus to die out if the crop isn't grown again during that time.

Griffo

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 18:40 »
thanks for the thoughts. I'm pretty sure it's not white rot, as the tops look the same as the last 2 years and I was able to lift/dry and store them quite well, which wouldn't be possible with white rot, as that attacks the bulbs - right?

I'm thinking along your lines Trillium - some sort of mini polytunnel, that I can move from raised bed to raised bed.

I had thought of growing my onions on the same bed every other year, alternating with squashes/courgettes. My logic here is based on the point made by Geoffrey Smith - that some people grown onions on the same bed each year, building up the fertility. As squashes/courgettes are also hungry feeders, I thought that alternating the 2 beds made some sense?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 00:52 »
I know some people do like to grow the same crop over and over without rotation but onions really should move around. A portable 'topper' for your raised beds would work just fine to keep them a bit drier.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 11:14 »
Griffo: Sorry if I have introduced some confusion. You have a fungal disease and you were considering lifting your crop. I have another fungal disease and have lifted my crop and they are nearly dried. Red onions continue to grow well and I left a dozen whites to grow on (they were small) which they have done but yesterday I lost another 3 to rot. So I have not gained at all.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 14:59 »
Once downy mildew gets a hold it is difficult to control. Dithane will help to prevent it or reduce its spread but will not kill it once it is there. It will also control rust on leeks.

If you overwinter japanese onions they may be carrying the spores through the winter to infect the Spring crop. Maybe it is them that you should stop growing?

pH testing kits with tubes from most garden centres are what you need. You do not need the full soil testing kit. They are more reliable than the soil probe type.

xx
Devastation

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 09, 2016, 20:06
by Growster...
xx
pest devastation

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 16:05
by DD.
xx
Pickling Onion recommendation / straggly onion & leeks

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 09:45
by Annie
xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 36 queries.