What did the Romans ever do for us?  :D

Brought peas?

See what I did there? ;)
Oh, shut up. :tongue2:
Cheese makes everything better.

tode

Re: To hoe or not to hoe?
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 11:25 »
Hang on, hang on. Carrots come from Afghanistan, dont they? Not sure where brought peas come from.  You cant blame the Romans for everything  ::)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 11:43 »
Hang on, hang on. Carrots come from Afghanistan, dont they? Not sure where brought peas come from.  You cant blame the Romans for everything  ::)

the Romans brought them here from Afghanistan, i assume. Time Team told me it was the romans and Baldrick wouldn't lie to me!  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 13:34 »
So the Romans have a great deal to answer for:

Straight roads = speeding traffic
Rabbits = munched veg plots
Ground Elder = rotten recipes and back aching weeding
Carrots = worrying about carrot fly

I wonder if they introduced the hoe?

Sausages were their idea!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 15:14 »
I think they also started global warming with all that marching and invading rabbit/carrot/groundelder free lands!  >:(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 15:48 »
I wonder if they introduced the hoe?

Well, the soldiers had to do something when they weren't building aqueducts, good roads, introducing sanitation, using medicines, bringing order culture and peas.  :tongue2: :lol:

Yabba

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 17:45 »
don't forget edukayshun, we'd all still be in mud huts on windy roads if we wusn't edukayted ... blooming romans, sixteen years of my life wasted at school because of them :|

¥

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 20:23 »
It wasn't all wasted on me 'cos I can still work out the Roman Numerals at the end of films to see what year they were made.  You would be amazed how useful that is......not. :lol:

JRRD

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 20:50 »
It wasn't all wasted on me 'cos I can still work out the Roman Numerals at the end of films to see what year they were made.  You would be amazed how useful that is......not. :lol:

I do that too....... have a bit of a  'when was this made ?'  obsession with old tv programmes....    my husband doesn't have a clue about Roman numerals and I just don't understand how he doesn't know them !!!

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 21:05 »
That was one of my earliest memories at school - remembering those funny lines, in fact I was asked to dress up as a witch for the paper (dont know why) but on the day I had to stay in class to learn roman numerals - I am scarred to this day.

So Romans brought me trauma from my childhood something I may never recover from - I always wanted to be a witch!

OVP.

Yabba

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 22:04 »

ahah, you wuz from one of those posh families huh?  :blink:

we weren't allowed to play with numbers

¥

digalotty

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 22:14 »
in 1939 they ivented the reverse gear :lol:
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 01:20 »
don't forget edukayshun, we'd all still be in mud huts on windy roads if we wusn't edukayted ... * romans, sixteen years of my life wasted at school because of them :|

¥

Just 16 and you're complaining..... I've been there for 34 years and still no end in sight.
Down with the Romans!!  >:( hoe, hoe....

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 14:53 »
Definately not from a posh school - was a christian school in Bristol which is even more confusing why I was nominated to be a witch!

Anyway if it wasn't for the romans then we wouldnt have time team digging up roman stuff or students playing in the mud!

OVP

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 17:02 »
Definately not from a posh school - was a christian school in Bristol which is even more confusing why I was nominated to be a witch!

Anyway if it wasn't for the romans then we wouldnt have time team digging up roman stuff or students playing in the mud!

OVP

Time Team also spend a good deal of time sifting through the midden heaps left by the Ancient Britons  :tongue2:

About a year ago, on Grade 1 agricultural land where a new housing estate is to be built up the road from me, the remains/burial site of a Bronze Age warrior was discovered.  A very rare find as it was a high caste member of society judging from the things buried with him. So, the Romans weren't the only crowd around...

Back to "hoe, hoe, hoe": When the Romans settled they often built along the edges of previous Iron Age settlements so their roads are not always dead straight - they wiggle as did the edges of Iron Age fields due to the way the oxen walked when ploughing (reverse sigmoidal curves).
How straight are your hoe-lines??  :lol:

Just thought I'd tell you while I wait for a coat of paint to dry  ::) Don't you just love holidays!!  ???

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.