HELP....eggs hatching as we speak!

• 9 Replies

broodyhen

HELP....eggs hatching as we speak!
« on: July 25, 2009, 15:59 »

Never done this before - my Speckledy Pat has been sitting on fertile eggs for 20 days today and we have just heard the first sounds of cheeping had a look and can see 2 eggs pipping! We are sooo excited as we lost our Warren Gladys last Saturday. I have taken lots of valuable tips from here but could do with some help on a few things. I have bought sand paper for the base but I have also heard about putting old pillow cases down which one would you say is best? Im worried that pillow cases have a 'housey smell' so would that make any difference?? Also when do I put down food and water for them I know they eat the yolk sac inside the shell.

Just too excited for words................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

broodyhen  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: HELP....eggs hatching as we speak!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 16:35 »
put the water (with marbles or similar) and chick crumbs down straight away, but put them close to mum as she will probably need something but won't want to get off the eggs for a couple of days. I didn't put anything apart from hemcore but out of your two suggestions I would go for the pillow case 9the chicks wont bother about the housey smell  :D. Finally get your camera charged up and at the ready  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 16:43 »
Its so exciting but do try and keep away from the broody give her peace and quiet Its so hard I know.
before they hatch compleatly they asorbe the yolk sac its like sucked up into them easiest way to explain. this keeps the chick feed for 3 days or so the books say.
Water you have to provide in a shallow dish pebbles/marbles so they dont drown but I use a saucer if you sprinkle chick crumbs just a pinch on the top they will peck and find the water.
Dont worry about them the broody will show them the water and food when shes ready to leave the nest she will wait untill all the live eggs hatch.
I just use newspaper to start with.
Your broody will not leave the nest for food or water while the chicks hatch this is fine so dont worry she knows whats shes doing.
One word of warning I took photos of day old chicks it spooked the mum who jumped back onto the chicks and killed one chick. leave it a few days or make sure mum is well out of the way? :D

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 21:35 »
Hi,
When I have broody's hatch chicks, I never bother with sandpaer or pillow cases, they are usually Ok whith straw, depending on what water container you use pebbles are a good idea, mum usually knows best, and shows the chicks what to do. All you need to do is make sure they have penty of chick crumbs and water, and leave for about 3 days before changing the bedding.
Looking forward to the photo's.  :)

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 21:57 »
Sorry, I woudl'nt recommend straw....this can get wrapped around their feet or necks!!! :( :(

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 22:23 »
Sorry, I woudl'nt recommend straw....this can get wrapped around their feet or necks!!! :( :(
Never had that problem and have been breeding chickens for 7 years.

Michelle xx

broodyhen

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 20:16 »
thanks for those ideas.  we definitely know we have 2 but we tried a couple of times to see and Pat gets upset so we have left her to it but im concerned if there is any dead chicks or eggs i need to hoick out....do i leave her be and for how long? i know that they can get really possesive with the chicks and i know we have to be extremely careful i just want to know that things are all ok  :unsure:

broodyhen

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 00:43 »
within a few days she  will bring the chicks out to drink and eat, Now she is trying to hatch the other eggs and keep a carefull eye on the hatched ones. So she can get realy stressed, you can go morning and late afternoon to check change water add food but when you approach the aera where she is call her name and talk remember she has young and you could be the one that feeds her or a fox after the young.
dont worry about the eggs shes doing a good job.

broodyhen

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 21:53 »
aww thanks for your help and advice - this is such a fab place to be :)

broodyhen

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 01:02 »
Don't over do the fussing let the hen sort them out she'll show them how to feed.  Provide water in a shallow dish (or use marbles if you like) though chick drinkers are best as they provide a narrow channel which the chicks can drink from without fear of drownding or getting wet.  Provide Crumbs after about 24 hrs on a flat board.  I use a piece of ply with a fine wire mesh (about 5mm square) stapled to it which stops the crumbs from being scattered and gives the chicks a surface they won't slip on and it's easy to clean.  Once they are feeding you can use a chick feeding trough. 
For litter you can use small softwood shavings preferably, chopped straw or newspaper.  I've never heard of pillowcases and can't see the advantage in using them at all as they are just liable to become wet and fouled quickly.  Also chicks being strangled by straw I've never heard of either.  They may look delicate but they are pretty tough and survive well if you don't interfere too much.  Just make sure the base isn't slippery is absorbant and can be cleaned easily.
Regards
Truth through science.

xx
hatching eggs

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 23:00
by ANHBUC
xx
hatching eggs

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 17:46
by ANHBUC
question
Help with Hatching eggs

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 22:20
by Chookiechook
xx
Would you buy these hatching eggs?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 06:43
by Casey76

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 30 queries.