poultry farm

• 24 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
poultry farm
« on: July 25, 2009, 14:49 »
i have just been on a 1 hour introduction into poultry keeping, he went through all the normal stuff that i have read about and then showed me pure bred chickens with lice and loads of eggs and then red mite in other chicken house, i was quite surprised i thought if you had these pests you would get rid of them straight away am i being too fussy. i am a veterinary nurse by trade and it just seems a bit wrong, but then i amnot sure who the world of farming goes.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: poultry farm
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 14:56 »
I think we all would deal with them as soon as possible - red mites can kill chickens  :ohmy:. Bet you came out of there itching.
Staffies are softer than you think.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 15:56 »
it was an experience, i have come home and showered before going out to see my chicks. maybe having such a large scale operation he doesnt have the same amount of time that you would if you only have a few. it is a shame i was going to ask if i could do some work experience type thing for him to get some more experience with poultry before we get a small holding.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 16:42 »
I wouldn't bother going there again if I was you, his animal husbandry obviously leaves a lot to be desired. I am surprised he had red mite as I would have thought his poultry sheds would have been creosoted (and before anybody shouts at me that it is illegal it isn't for farmers or for recoating timber that was previously creosoted). Did he say anything about prevention of the mites and lice? Perhaps once this lot of hens have gone then he may be treating his shed before the next lot - who knows.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 17:50 »
Well that really surprises me! the most important thing about chicken keeping is being deligant with husbandry.

poppies

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 18:33 »
it was an experience, i have come home and showered before going out to see my chicks. maybe having such a large scale operation he doesnt have the same amount of time that you would if you only have a few. it is a shame i was going to ask if i could do some work experience type thing for him to get some more experience with poultry before we get a small holding.

Hi I dont thiink this is the sort of person to be showing you how it's done, we have a smallholding and this morning I cleaned out and poultry shielded - as a precaution  18 coops I will do the other's tommorrow, having too  many is not an excuse, and actually knowing your birds have problems is even worse.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 18:55 »
if only you were nearer poppies, because it sounds like you are the type of poultry keeper i want to gain experience from. if there is anyone out there in south somerset or dorset who would want some voluntary help in exchange for knowledge please let me know. i live in west coker somerset

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 19:42 »
well I am near bristol, a bit far but will looking for guinea pigs to practise my chicken keeping course on soon, free of course! ;) :D

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 19:57 »
foxy that would be brilliant , bristol is only an hour away from me. i will send you a message with my details, i wouldnt mind doing a days voluntary work once a month to gain some experience when my sons at school if you are interested.

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 20:37 »
foxy that would be brilliant , bristol is only an hour away from me. i will send you a message with my details, i wouldnt mind doing a days voluntary work once a month to gain some experience when my sons at school if you are interested.

i thought you was joking :D get yourself up here for 6 am and...................milk the goat, catch the sheep :wub: and shear them (i haven't improved much with practice and the sheep still look like badly clipped poodles) clean out and power wash the 6 hen houses (whilst your doing that you can ask all the chickens why we didn't get one single egg today :mad:) scrub out the broody box and chick pens, clean out the ducks, school the horses (they're getting fat and lazy) trim the goats and the ponies feet ( Gemma's feet are working overtime and the blacksmith would have to move in to keep up with her) actually does anyone know why her feet grow about 6 times faster than anyone elses? oh and there's the fencing to do (post and rails and electric) fields of weeds to cut (you can drive a tractor can't you? no matter, you'll learn) and whilst doing that you must wander around all day with a shot gun incase Mr Fox is about (you don't have to shoot him if you don't want to, just scare him off) and then if you have time there's the veggie patch, omg the veggie patch :lol:

seconds thoughts...you may have to come back to do the veggie patch, wouldn't want to tire you out on your first day :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 20:39 by TMG »

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 20:41 »
shame you are so far away tmg

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 20:42 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 21:10 »
i wish i lived near you tmg , you sound like my perfect neighbour . give me a roof over my head and i would work for free  :D if i didnt have all my guys that is , nearly done that before applied for a job looking after a small holding and i was allowed to take all my pets an horses but i lost out to someone else  :(.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 21:15 »

you are more than welcome! the ducks would love someone else to run circles round! :lol: :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 21:48 »
i wish i lived near you tmg , you sound like my perfect neighbour . give me a roof over my head and i would work for free  :D if i didnt have all my guys that is , nearly done that before applied for a job looking after a small holding and i was allowed to take all my pets an horses but i lost out to someone else  :(.

Did you say FREE?????  I'm nearer to you than TMG is!!!!   and I've got a spare sofa bed!!!   :D :D

But going back on thread, I can't believe this chap actually showed you the chooks with lice and red mite, unless he keeps them especially for teh course, but what's to stop it spreading everywhere else?  and like the others have said, it's not good for the poor chickens.  that's disgusting!

xx
Anyone know of a good Poultry Farm in Hertfordshire??

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 09:00
by KelnCraig
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
Farm Duck.

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 21:29
by Snaphappii
xx
phillips farm

Started by cranky77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 21:09
by cranky77

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 37 queries.