woke up to 2 new hens . is this a case for the rspca

• 45 Replies

craig1981

• Experienced Member
now i realise this isnt an everyday occurance but on letting the girls out this morning i noticed 2 new hens in my run and a note saying thanks on my food box . obviously dumped on me but then again im happy the dumper decided to put them somewhere safe .
 Should i be informing someone like the rspca that someone is going around dumping there chooks or as im happy to take them in is there no need . Both hens look in good health and look exactly the same as my baker browns but maybe a little older .
 There seemed to be no issues this morning with them mixing with my 8 hens but will obviously keep an eye on them . Now just wish me luck in telling the mrs that we now have 10 hens instead of 8 :D

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: woke up to 2 new hens . is this a case for the rspca
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:34 »
I doubt the RSPCA would do anything?
    Suppose the novelty worn off for the person responsible :mad:
Perhaps its because they aren't laying, i hope nothings wrong with them, as they are in with yours.
      Good luck with your OH :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:38 »
ive put them in a rabbit run inside my current run . they seem really healthy and full of colour . i think its gonna be a case of watching all the girls and see how they get on

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:54 »
as there is no obvious cruelty taken place I doubt the RSPCA would do anything. :(
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:50 »
why do people just dump their animals and assume they will be taken in >:( >:( >:(, sorry but i just carnt understand the cheek of people, if the person had just knocked on your door and asked you, would that have been so bad.   Ive a few friends who keep guinea pigs like me and they are forever getting pigs dumped on their front door steps in boxes usually in horrible conditions so at least they appear healthy.    Good luck with them, prehaps the oh wont notice ::).   Would love to see some piccys. nickyx

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:07 »
What I find eerie is that someone has been watching you and is aware that you have hens the same kind has his/her's.  I think people are embarrassed to admit that they no longer want their hens.  In America, during late summer, it is not unusual to go shopping and come home to find a bag full of courgettes by one's front door.  Or someone will ring your doorbell, dump the bag there and run like h***.  They are just so prolific!  I know it isn't as serious as what has happened to you, but it seems to be human nature.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Debz

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:33 »
I would be more concerned that a stranger could get into my hens overnight.

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 11:36 »
i advertise my eggs in a local shop window so i imagine it could be any of the many folks who came and collected eggs from me as im always happy to show them my set up when they ask about my hens . Im just glad whoever dumped them on me did there research first and they werent just dumped anywhere to fend for themselves and i suppose they deserve a tiny bit of credit for doing that .

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 11:37 »
maybe they couldn't care for them anymore but wanted them to go to a good home... :(

mjd

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:38 »
Well ive used some good excuses for extra hens in the past, but never thought of that one.
I would have to get a stranger to write the note though in case my hand writing was recognized.

:) ;) :) ;) :) ;)

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:39 »
Well ive used some good excuses for extra hens in the past, but never thought of that one.
I would have to get a stranger to write the note though in case my hand writing was recognized.

:) ;) :) ;) :) ;)

:lol: :lol: do you think it would work with geese????  ???

mjd

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 11:42 »
You would have to keep them quiet, imagine being caught in the act, that would take some really quick thinking. :)

madcat

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 13:13 »
Hang onto the thanks note though.  Just in case someone has second thoughts.  You dont want to be accused of stealing them! :ohmy:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

flangey

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 14:32 »
You seem very relaxed about it all Craig1981!! Aren't people strange! As you say, at least they're in good condition and they weren't just dumped at the side of the road or something.  You'll have babies in baskets left next!! :ohmy:

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 15:08 »
i cant see any point in getting too concerned . i have the space and they seem happy and healthy so i will just integrate them carefully with my girls :D

xx
Woke up to chicks this morning

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 19:07
by Roughlee Handled
xx
woke up to a terrible sight

Started by shegha on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 14:19
by Nats
xx
Funny poo (or not as the case maybe)!

Started by Lynto on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 13:18
by Helenaj
xx
They're laying again! or not as the case may be!!

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

49 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 05:59
by tosca100

Page created in 0.843 seconds with 36 queries.