Tomatoes slow (again)

• 13 Replies

hubballi

Tomatoes slow (again)
« on: July 22, 2009, 19:13 »
I have tomatoes growing i the greenhouse. Gardeners Delight, Roma and Tumbling Tom. They are so slow and I have still not had any fruit off any of them. I know the weather has been like Autumn but a greenhouse (plastic) would surely bring them on more. The Roma has some fruit but far from ripe. Is it the sun that ripens them or just heat ?

Every summer I always end up with green tomatoes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomatoes slow (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 19:17 »
I'mthe same, think it's just the weather.....sorry.
Unless you can start them off earlier, and keep them warm at the start with some heat, you just have to rely on the weather. And lets face it it's been pretty dire for the last few years.
I think i got used to global warming :) just as it stopped >:(

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 19:27 »
I dont know whether it helps or whether it's an old wives tail,but an old gardener told me a couple of years ago how to ripen toms in a greenhouse.He told me to place an over-ripe banana in the greenhouse on the tomato vine,apparently it gives off a chemical that prompts the toms to ripen.It did seem to work or perhaps the toms just ripened naturally,some seasons i dont need to do it,but whenever they are slow i do,and they ripen.Nothing to lose.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 19:39 »
Bananas give off eythlene gas which is use for ripening tomatoes - how do you think Tesc@ manage to get all the fruit ripened on the vine all at the same time? :lol:

However, I would venture to suggest that it won't help if the tomatoes are still growing.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mountainvicar

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 19:50 »
DD, how sure are you that that bananna thing dosn't work?....

I defonataly dose work if you stick one in a draw with green green Tom's after the season... and i always hung a few up early season to get things going... but since ive never done other wise i don't know if it has any efect... am I waisting my time and banannas here?...

Thanks for any thoughts :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 20:24 »
I didn't say it wouldn't work, as I'm sure it does.

What I said was that I had my doubts that it would work on tomatoes that were still growing, (i.e. immature ones). If they've reached full size and refusing to ripen, I've no reason to doubt that it would help as this is a well known trick.

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 20:34 »
agree with DD -- I use banana trick to ripen toms once fully grown but never seen it work whilst still growing. Feed and be patient. What always does it for me is going on holiday. Might be all green but once we are a mile up the road who ever is watering for us will ring and say "what about all those ripe tomatoes - shall I take them or leave them " Never fails - I am sure if we holiday'd in October it would be the same. Law according to Professor Sodde.
R

mountainvicar

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 21:04 »
great :) not waisting my bananas then

DavidT

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 21:12 »
It`s not just bananas, the same applies to apples. Put one on the ground underneath the vines, it helps speed up ripening. If you want to do ir=t natures way, the toms need warmth, not sunlight. And as DD says, wait until the fruits are fully grown.

hubballi

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 23:36 »
Right-o ;-)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 06:04 »
I always find the best thing is patience & not looking at the calendar.

As with everything in the garden, they come when they're ready & whittling aout it won't hasten them! :lol:

goodegg

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 08:06 »
i have just picked my first two toms i live in guernsey c.i. my brother has some toms in same greenhouse but his are far from being ripe it dont make any sense but they are later than norm eddie

Bombers

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:42 »
I have tomatoes growing i the greenhouse. Gardeners Delight, Roma and Tumbling Tom. They are so slow and I have still not had any fruit off any of them. I know the weather has been like Autumn but a greenhouse (plastic) would surely bring them on more. The Roma has some fruit but far from ripe. Is it the sun that ripens them or just heat ?

Every summer I always end up with green tomatoes.
I have some Gardener's delight in a plastic  Greenhouse (4 tier jobby) that haven't ripened yet. It's south facing, sheltered and should be just perfect conditions, but It gets pretty cold at night time which sets them back a bit. ;) I've got plenty more outside, that are behind those. My Alicante's in the Conservatory (North facing)  I've been picking for a couple of weeks now.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

hubballi

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:09 »
It's rubbish. Too cold and wet. My gardeners delight are still the same size and colour as they were when I posted this nearly a week ago.

xx
Tomatoes - slow growth

Started by dbsevern on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 14:53
by JayG
xx
Slow growing tomatoes plants

Started by Little weed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 23:40
by vegmandan
xx
Going slow...

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 22:09
by sazzy123
xx
Slow

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 16:10
by Fairy Plotmother

Page created in 6.929 seconds with 38 queries.