hi there 1st question

• 3 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
hi there 1st question
« on: July 21, 2009, 20:03 »
hi there i am new to the forum and new to the allotment scene so please be gentle.

ok then i got my allotment august 2009 it was a bit of a mess to i rotovated it, big mistake what bind weed i had is now a million times more.
its a full size plot half of which is grass.
anyway i have dug half the weeds out on my hands and knees i looked like jesus with 2 great marks/blisters on my palms :) and the other bit i have chemicaly treated with weedol and that just needs clearing now.
everything i have planted has grown so i have had some success spuds lettuce beans etc.

my questions are...manure...i can get some horse manure (fresh lol) will this be ok to dig into my plot or do i need rotted stuff?

next question is grass, as i said half the plot is wild type grass i bought myself a petrol strimmer but it still takes a good 90 minutes to strim it all so i have weed killed half of he grass to stunt the growing :) what is the best way to kill it off? i don't want to turn it over just yet as it then means i will have to maintain it more i don't want to bite off more than i can chew so to say.

what i do intend to do on the grass side of the plot is dig out strips/rows at 3ft intevals so i can have rows for my veggies/spuds next year.

so manure and killing the grass tip appreciated...thanks

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: hi there 1st question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 20:12 »
Hi, first you need rotted manure or leave the fresh stuff to mature before digging it in. Second i recomend glyphosate to kill the grass for it kills right down to the roots then you can rotorvate it in.

Greasehog

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 20:17 »
Hi Chili
Welcome aboard.. In answer to your question you really need to use rotted manure as using fresh manure will burn the roots of plants. As for the weed killing it is personal choice if you don't intend on being organic then go for it it's also quick.. otherwise there is covering the area in plastic sheeting etc to cut out the light but that takes time to kill the weeds.
Hope this helps..
Every gardener needs a good hoe'

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 20:18 »
Fresh animal manure is nearly always "hot". Therefore, it is always advisable to let the manure "stand" to allow further rotting and get better results when applied to your growing area. Only certain growing areas of course!!!!!!!!!!

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 36 queries.