Cornflower to protect carrots

• 15 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« on: April 20, 2007, 20:16 »
:idea: Just seen Monty Donn on TV planting cornflower seeds alonside carrots to protect against carrot fly. He said its prettier than fleece, yea but didn't say how it works.
Will it just make a physical barrier :?:  
Going to do it anyway :D  :D
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 20:37 »
no the smell of the flower hide the smell of the carrots so the carrot flies go eles where  to lays her eggs where there is a stronger smell of carrot or so i understand  :tongue2:  yours big green bloke
remember plants can't read books

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 20:53 »
I am doing a similar thing with a few marigolds, a pot of mint and a few chives in a pot
Smell-a-gastic!!!!!
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 20:58 »
I've put 3 rows of carrots in the old bathtub and covered it over with an old shower door to help keep the soil warm, and when I put my outside carrots in, I'm going to try half of them with a fleece barrier and the other half with marigolds, lavender, mint and now cornflowers around them to see if that helps!!!!  Mind you, if the smell carries to the carrots behind the fleece, I won't know if it was the fleece or the smell that kept the carrot fly away will I?   :D

But if we don't try these things, we won't know will we?  At least that's what I keep telling OH when he keeps saying why are you doing that???

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 21:36 »
If you're planting the true cornflower, then it will very quickly self seed and become a weed. In Holland it's a real problem, and it's one here if allowed anywhere near the veg or flower gardens. You're constantly pulling it because it went to seed and if you don't let it flower it won't have any scent to deter the carrot fly. Odd Monty should say that as I've watched his Fork to Fork series and in his own garden he uses lots of chives around carrot/snip borders.

pwgun

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 21:41 »
Could you tease carrot fly away from carrot crop using sacrificial small row of carrots that are rustled religiously to attract them, or will that create other problems?
When the sun shines i dig,
When rain pours i dig
When the wind blows---I SURF.

Allan

mkhenry

Carrot fly
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 22:09 »
In days of old to defeat the carrot fly trails of paraffin and creosote where used. It is indeed the smell that attracts and from a long way away.If next doors plot has them they will soon find you. And if you allow a few sacrificial carrots to become infected they will be considered the starter,and they will very soon find the maincrop and to them the main course. If you use a barrier dont forget if you lift it to water or just to take a peak they will fly in,you will not notice them until its too late. This is how most covered carrots become infected.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

king cauli

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:48 »
[Mind you, if the smell carries to the carrots behind the fleece, I won't know if it was the fleece or the smell that kept the carrot fly away will I?   :D

that did make me laugh g.a :lol:
have seen em doin the cornflower trick on our site,got chives,onions and garlic round mine
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 11:28 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
If you're planting the true cornflower, then it will very quickly self seed and become a weed. In Holland it's a real problem, and it's one here if allowed anywhere near the veg or flower gardens. You're constantly pulling it because it went to seed and if you don't let it flower it won't have any scent to deter the carrot fly. Odd Monty should say that as I've watched his Fork to Fork series and in his own garden he uses lots of chives around carrot/snip borders.

Right :!: I'm going to plant Chives instead of cornflowers

purplekat

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 18:21 »
I had an idea - don't know if it'll work.
I was researching how to keep cats off my seed bed and found somewhere said cotton wool balls soaked in tea tree oil as they hate the smell - I was wondering if the same would work for carrot fly if I put some in the middle of my carrot patch (i'm doing square foot gardening so the patches are only small)

worth a try anyway

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 21:46 »
I wish i knew carrots were such bother before i bought my three seed packets ! lol....before i started this, it was the lure of growing "easy" things like carrots and pulling the fresh ...long...fat and sometimes odd shaped roots and rejoicing....

Im now convinced im going to end up with a sorry bunch of festering fly food instead.

sootypaws

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 22:58 »
Grannie Annie if you are growing your carrots in a bath tub then you shouldnt have any problems with carrot fly. apparently the carrot fly only flys about 2 foot from the ground, your ath will be taller than this. I've never had a problem when growing in my old bath.
Ann
sootypaws

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 23:19 »
Quote from: "Dan"
I wish i knew carrots were such bother before i bought my three seed packets ! lol....before i started this, it was the lure of growing "easy" things like carrots and pulling the fresh ...long...fat and sometimes odd shaped roots and rejoicing....

Im now convinced im going to end up with a sorry bunch of festering fly food instead.

What is lol.
My gandaughter uses it as "Lots of luv" butthat can't be it here ... can it :?  :wink:

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 23:41 »
Quote from: "Dan"

:lol: It might happen, might not. This is the first year I've actually got any carrots to worry about. Last 2 years attemps resulted in such poor germination / seedling survival that I got about 8 carrots both times. This year I've got loads of good healthy seedlings but am worried about all these new problems. I planted chives nearby, well they're a bit like onions aren't they? Thats supposed to be good, right? :?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 23:42 »
and lol can be lots of laughs OR laughs out loud

as well as lots of love.

I hate that text speak though.

xx
How to protect carrots from carrotfly

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 19:33
by sunshineband
xx
What veg do you protect?

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 13:14
by shokkyy
xx
What to protect against frost!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 09:16
by mumofstig
xx
protect your lettuce

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 22:43
by FCG

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 37 queries.