Garlic Problem...?

• 7 Replies

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Garlic Problem...?
« on: July 21, 2009, 17:01 »
I lifted my garlic yesterday, about 40-odd bulbs, most of them look ok and are drying now in conservatory but one or two had a fluffy white mouldy-looking stuff on them so I threw those away.

Does anyone know what this fungus might be and if I could have kept the affected bulbs?
Thanks
JC

SG6

Re: Garlic Problem...?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 18:16 »
Think you did the best thing and threw them.
There appears to be a good deal of Onion White Rot going round. Garlic is a member of the Onon (allium) family.
Sounds like this is what you may have, better check elsewhere to be sure. :( :(

If it is then it is not easily eradicated.  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Think that the advice is not to plant alliums (garlic, leek, onions) for many years (12-20)  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

The problem is that it is a fungus infection and fungi like wet warm conditions, and climate change is giving us wetter and warmer conditions. So realistically it can be expected that it will spread  :wub: :wub:

chris.selvey

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 19:45 »
Think you did the best thing and threw them.
There appears to be a good deal of Onion White Rot going round. Garlic is a member of the Onon (allium) family.
Sounds like this is what you may have, better check elsewhere to be sure. :( :(

If it is then it is not easily eradicated.  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Think that the advice is not to plant alliums (garlic, leek, onions) for many years (12-20)  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

The problem is that it is a fungus infection and fungi like wet warm conditions, and climate change is giving us wetter and warmer conditions. So realistically it can be expected that it will spread  :wub: :wub:

Yup, i agree that it is certainly white rot, and i have also suffered from it to this year on my garlic. But, the best thing to do is (obviously you wasn't to know this time, but next time if this problem occurs) is to put the plant and affected soil straight into a plastic bag to stop the spores from spreading. DO NOT put the affected plants into copost bins because they are not hot enough to fully kill off the fungus. It is best to take the bag of affected plants and empty them into the coiuncils 'green bins'. The council have facilities to heat it to temperatures above 50x more than an average compost heap.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 22:15 »
Here's the RHS guidance on white rot, together with a piccie to enable you to compare your garlic.

A couple of my garlic bulbs rotted off / had a bit of mould this season, the rest seem fine - I don't think it was necessarily white rot, just that they rotted off with a wet winter.

Time will tell  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14 »
Thanks all. It sounds like white rot  :( but I managed to save quite a few, possibly coz I lifted them early enough.
Not sure what to do now about onions/garlic on the plot in future. Should I grow still them?

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 20:45 »
Had exactly the same problem with a handful of my garlic bulbs.

I separated them and stripped them right down to use immediately as wet garlic.  A couple of days later I went to use them and the white fungas had started to take hold on the peeled bulb in the kitchen cupboard.

Obviously chucked them, and glad I did.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 22:10 »
Sounds like this a common  problem this yr (.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 22:32 »
it's probably the weather - we have had weeks of rain alternating with hot sunshine. Perfect for fungal problems
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
Problem with my garlic

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 12:18
by Jules
xx
possible garlic problem?

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 12:19
by Stevens706
xx
garlic problem

Started by mr tibbs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 22:53
by cawdor2001
xx
Onions & garlic problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 16:22
by chrisnchris

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 37 queries.