sleeping arrangments

• 14 Replies

mikeyd

sleeping arrangments
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:42 »
Hi everyone,

I am totally new to keeping chickens so any tips are welcome, got my 3 girls 5 days ago and believe they are about 16 weeks old. they have a pen with 2 nesting boxes and a small run attached but have the run of my garden during the day, I have no trouble putting them to bed at night they just make their own way into the coup at night, always around 9-9.30pm, there are 2 perches but they all ignore these and bed down in the nesting boxes, apart from the inconvenience to me having to clean the nesting boxes every day is this going to cause any problems with laying, have had 1 egg so far but none since.
I bought them as pets for my wife and I and am chuffed to bits with them and cant believe how individual they are, each one has its own personality already and each one behaves differently around me to how they behave around my wife, they are called Mildred, Agnes and Beryl, wifes choice not mine.   ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: sleeping arrangments
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:53 »
Hi Mikeyd and welcome to the forum. Your best bet is after Agnes, Beryl and Mildred have gone to bed and are sleepy lift them out of their nest boxes and place them on their perches - perching is natural for them. You may have to do this for a few nights but hopefully they should get the hang of it leaving the nest boxes free from poo. Having said that one of my hens absolutely refuses to perch (she is about 14 months so doubt she will ever do so). I am now having to do the same with some of my babies who are 9 weeks old who will perch in the trees all day but at night seem to forget to do so  :D And finally yes hens are great and have very different personalities indeed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:55 »
Welcome to the Forum, Mike, and to the wonderful world of chicken keeping.

Ditto everything Joyful said.   :)

Good luck,
cathangirl

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:12 »
My 3 snuggle up in one of the nesting boxes each night too. They don't go in the coop during the day, (not laying yet), so I don't see it being a problem, they're obviously happy squashed in like sardines at night ??? I use a kids beach spade to lift the poo out each morning and give the whole thing a big clean once a week.

Nickchick

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 12:39 »
Hi Mikeyd

I am no expert as I have only had my 3 girls for 3 months or so.  Mine are ex-batts and have always used the nest box to sleep in.  I have never encouraged them to go on the perch.  With regards to cleaning out the poo some kind fellow on this site suggested that after they have laid (which is lunch time for my 3) I go in and collect the eggs and place a couple of sheets of newspaper in their nest box.  Then in the morning all I have to do is gather up the newspaper complete with poo!  My chucks don't seem to have a problem sleeping on the newspaper either.

Hope this helps

weedo

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 15:01 »
Hi. All 3 of mine squash up together in the nest box. Always in the same positions as well. As a matter of interest my 3 always go to bed in the same order every night as well. Margot is first in and Delia is always last in.  Is this the same for everyone I wonder.  ::)

3ps

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 16:29 »
I have placed a heavy ceramic flower pot upside down in my (hens) nesting box to stop them from sitting there. I will remove it when they are close to laying age (soon now!)

The roof on the hen house is sloped so they can't perch on top of the pot base.

Caralou

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 16:42 »
Hi. All 3 of mine squash up together in the nest box. Always in the same positions as well. As a matter of interest my 3 always go to bed in the same order every night as well. Margot is first in and Delia is always last in.  Is this the same for everyone I wonder.  ::)

Yep, mine have their set order as well with the silkies and polands heading in first followed by all the warrens apart from Dolly who is always strutting her stuff until dark and then she finally goes to bed  ::) Think she likes being last out as she now gets special treats on her own while sat on my knee (not favoritism for the chook at all  :tongue2: ), or maybe she is the last one out as she knows to wait for the treats  ??? chicken egg, egg chicken scenario  :lol:

mikeyd

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 17:30 »
thanks for all your suggestion, lifting them out and placing them on the perch sounds good so does putting something in the nest box to stop them sleeping in there, if I try the latter will they then be forced to roost on the perches do you think.   :(  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 17:41 »
Try both methods at the same time - lift them onto perches and then block off their nesting boxes  :D

Cass

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 19:08 »
hello!  We had the same with our chooks.  We tried persisting with shooing them out of the nesting box but they just kept on creeping back - (comfy straw appeals to me more then perching on a wooden stick too!) so in the end when they have  all laid, we put a piece of cardboard at the entrance of the nesting box  so there is no confusion at night time now!  When I let them out in the morning I remove the card again so they can go in to lay at their leisure!

Sparkle

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 21:12 »
Hello
My girlies were all about 2-3 years old when I got them and all 8 squish together in the hen house as they have never perched at the free range farm they came from.
we lowered the perches etc but they are still not interested and just hop over them to their usual positions so I have left them alone now and hope they get the hang of it one day!
The 4 scaredy hens (tikka, ginger, chookie and woogie) always go to bed first followed by mother hen, penny, banjo and finally leary pie who loves to get a late night snack if one's on offer...

mikeyd

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 13:55 »
tried both methods now but all three just end up huddled together in the corner, I get 1 on a perch then when I put the second on the first just hops off, put some big pots in the nest box and even though there was only about 2" at the side and the same between the top and the nest box roof they still managed to poo in there, me thinks they have won. I feel guilty disturbing them anyway.
 thanks for the tips all, think I might be spending some time on this forum in the coming months have got loads of questions.   :blink: :wacko:

Sue33

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 14:17 »

Hi Mikeyd

Mine were the same when we first had them and it's only been the last couple of weeks that they've actually started to sleep in the coop (though not always on the perch) maybe with time they'll adjust.  All three are now laying so maybe that's an influence  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 16:04 »
I have noticed that as mine have got older and further into laying they are using the perch in their run much more and at least two out of three are perching at night ( tell by the poo pattern.) Maybe it's just a growing up thing? I don't mind them sleeping in the nest boxes at all and like so many of you they have their order going in at bed-time and coming out in the morning. They're real characters! Never thought I'd be so hooked on birds......

xx
Sleeping outside

Started by jaws on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 20:46
by joyfull
xx
How do I get them all sleeping together?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 09:39
by Carla
xx
sleeping out

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:57
by jo40
xx
nesting box for sleeping

Started by wilson5 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 13:05
by scrappydoo

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 37 queries.