good way to grow carrots

• 11 Replies

benA*grower

good way to grow carrots
« on: July 20, 2009, 20:27 »
a good way to grow carrot is make a raised bed about 2ft off the floor and fill it with compost. the with your hoe make a half an inch drill and sprinkle your carrot seed in there water well then cover over. when the carrots start to develop do not thin out leave them all to grow. i have had carrots the size of a table spoon long and about 3inch in diameter

floysh

Re: good way to grow carrots
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 20:59 »
could carrots be grown in a dustbin?  I've got some lettuce growing nicely in mine, I've heard of potatoes being grown in dustbins but never thought about carrots.. any thoughts?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 21:07 »
Yes, dustbins are a good idea - raises the carrots above the height where most root fly will attack (though not guaranteed), you can control the soil / compost contents, and avoid stones.

Just be aware that it does take a lot of compost depth - perhaps only replace the top half in the second year, and the whole lot every other year
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 23:03 »
thats funny, thats how the lad on the plot next to me grows them ;)

I take it he's the lad on the next plot  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 23:19 »
a good way to grow carrot is make a raised bed about 2ft off the floor and fill it with compost. the with your hoe make a half an inch drill and sprinkle your carrot seed in there water well then cover over. when the carrots start to develop do not thin out leave them all to grow. i have had carrots the size of a table spoon long and about 3inch in diameter

My first year but that is how I've grown mine more or less. Raised beds and a drill of MPC, sprinkle the seeds over and a light covering again of MPC.
       I have thinned out as I want to eat them, I've had some thin ones,10" long as straight as a die (almost)  :) and others that are twisty, yet others that are fat and squat.
       They've all tasted great so far.

elibump

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32 »
could carrots be grown in a dustbin?  I've got some lettuce growing nicely in mine, I've heard of potatoes being grown in dustbins but never thought about carrots.. any thoughts?

:)That's what we've done and rather than thin out we've pulled up the ones that need 'thinnning' a bit early and then eaten them as what Sainsbury's call 'baby carrotts' in salads. ;)  Been really tasty and the bin is a good idea for us as we have only about 15cm of soil before bedrock.
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

cabbagehead

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:06 »

:)That's what we've done and rather than thin out we've pulled up the ones that need 'thinnning' a bit early and then eaten them as what Sainsbury's call 'baby carrotts' in salads. ;)  Been really tasty and the bin is a good idea for us as we have only about 15cm of soil before bedrock.

Exactly what we do, the taste is to die for!!!!!
If all else fails read the instructions.

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:07 »
That's how I've always done them.....this year they have fleece over them to keep the dreaded carrot fly off them though.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:31 »
growing mine in boxes next year. This year's were a disaster!  :mad:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 16:47 »
I've grown some carrot fly free ones in a 10" deep plant trough placed on top of my decomposing compost heap this year, with great success & I'm usually rubbish at growing carrots.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 17:05 »
I use a couple of old tyres with a plastic liner and a soil compost mix. Garages have to pay to dispose of tyres so no cost to me at all.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 18:38 »
I have grown my carrots in bins since an attack from the carrot fly!! never been bothered since and have had fantastic flavoured carrots!  as i have a few bins all i do at the end is to turn the compoat out into another bin so the bottom half is now the top half and then sow again,, the only small prob i have had is that i sow quite heavily and snails tend to get on the bin and are hard to find within the green foliage,, 

in fact i,m hoping to get hold of the large square plastic tanks sometimes used to carry chemical,, my plan is to cut them in half and use them to grow carrots, parsnips ect

xx
adding manure and is it good for carrots and parsnips?

Started by Dirty Shovel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 08:14
by Kristen
xx
Carrots - how to grow?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 10:51
by Ivah
xx
how best to grow carrots

Started by Ockers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:42
by Yorkie
xx
He says I cant grow carrots?? !!

Started by keepers_cottage on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 20:27
by DavidT

Page created in 0.804 seconds with 37 queries.