Some (stupid) questions?

• 4 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Some (stupid) questions?
« on: July 20, 2009, 16:15 »
OK, getting on ok here in my 1st proper year.  Using deep raised bed system in back garden.  Not big, but pretty productive so far.  Some queries - rather than clog up the board with threads, I've grouped them, sorry if this isnt appropriate:

1) Im growing red alert toms in mini greenhouse.  Really big, lots of foliage, flowers and fruit.  However, now a real tangled mess - hard to even see anywhere near the middle.  Will the 'inner' fruits ripen like this or should I remove one plant 'outdoors'?

2) The red alert toms that have ripened also arent that tasty - a lot of flesh inside with little 'juice' - v disappointing compared to my cherries last year. Any ideas?

3) growing hot chillies indoors.  cant remember variety but lots of large fruit - all green and not v hot.  will they turn red and 'heat up'?

4)  My perpetual spinach is huge but not bolted i dont think - still ok to use?  seems to taste ok when steamed.

5)  my herbs have all gone mad - growing, flowering etc (mint , coriander, sage, marj).  again, still seem to do the trick - ok to leave to flower or should i pull and re-sow?

thanks so much

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Some (stupid) questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 16:30 »
Can answer 5 for you. The mint, marj and sage are  perennial herbs and it is normal for them to flower. Just leave them to it. The mint and marj will die down over winter but the sage is usually evergreen. The coriander is tender and usually (in my hands) dies over winter and needs resowing next year.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GreenOwl

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 16:34 »
Can't answer all of these but....

1) Thin 'em!  Remove leaves, move a plant outside, something.  Too much foliage = not enough air movement round plant = problems.

2) No ideas.  Too much water?

3) yes, give them time.

4) If it tastes OK, keep eating.

5) see OP's answer.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 16:41 »
1) Yes- if you can & remove some leaves

2)I don't think that they are the best tasting variety personaly. Sungold or Sweet Cherry Premium cherry toms are much sweeter.

3)Not all chillis go red & some are milder than others. Some go yellowish, but they generally get hotter as they mature.

4) Yes

5) Already answered.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 19:22 »
Excellent, thanks folks.

xx
Another of my ?stupid questions

Started by jmc1949 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 13:08
by Agatha
xx
stupid questions...

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 21:51
by AndyRVTR
xx
Yet another couple of stupid questions

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 18:48
by gobs
xx
Complete novice! Stupid questions alert!

Started by spy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 14, 2006, 22:34
by noshed

Page created in 0.82 seconds with 28 queries.