Sutton Broad beans

• 8 Replies

hubballi

Sutton Broad beans
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:49 »
When I planted my Sutton beans in April they were very healthy and strong. They produced an abundance of flowers which looked very hopeful. Over the last few weeks, the flowers (and a lot of the pods) dropped off at the base and further up the plant. The leaves have been eaten by small slugs and the few beans (some never developing and staying a moudly color) are very misshapen and short .

I have put organic friendly pellets on the ground, watered and occasionally fed with seaweed to keep the plant healthy.

I thought broad beans were supposed to be the easiest veg to grow !

While I am at it, in the same bed the curly Kale is being eaten by slugs and snails. All the books I read tell me it's a good leaf to grow because the pests don't bother. OH YES THEY DO !!!  :mad:

Beejay

• Experienced Member
Re: Sutton Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 12:25 »
Are you sure it's not pigeons having your kale for breakfast?
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

violet61

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 12:33 »
Thats exactly whats happening to my suttons, had a few healthy pods, now nothing, slugs have eaten all the way up, even though I've got beer traps & Im out every night with a torch! Now i just dont care, the rain is finishing off everything else! :( :( :( :(

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 16:22 »
Its been an absolute rubbish year for growing broad beans for me, I have bunyans exibition that are only as tall as suttons and the auqa dulcia I planted over winter did nothing, but thenagain there is always next year.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 16:48 »
I grew suttons this year, started them in the greenhouse and got some nice plants. Got enough beans off them for  two meals , very poor this year and no slug problems to blame it on.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 17:04 »
I've grown B. Exhibition as normal and had one good picking (some had gone a bit far though) but there are only a few left to pick instead of a constant supply. They usually grow taller than me but are not as tall this year. Having said that, I did get beans setting lower down the plant this time instead of further up. They were well watered but I wonder if the hot weather earlier on did for them???  ???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 14:47 »
've grown suttons this year in my litle patch in the garden....lovingly cossetted, they haven't done all that much.A couple of meals and that's it....pesky slugs.....

But on the lottie I put in B.Exhibition, adn they've done well, considering they 've been left to fend for themselves really.Lots of broad beans, bacon and parsely moments...mmmn...plus in risottos .Have about 2 pounds in the freezer and some more still to pick.Will definitely put some of those in again.
Thinking of the Days

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 15:14 »
I would recommend the Aquadulce Claudia Broad Bean, I have had pounds of really tasty beans. I did not overwinter these, but started the beans off in the greenhouse and put sturdy plants into the ground during April.  I prefer to put plants into the ground as I have armies of slugs and snails around and they demolish everything that is new, fresh  and small.  I have two rows of Broad Bean Express coming along nicely now, so should have some more to pick shortly.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 20:22 »
I've already mentioned my poor yield from my bunyards and suttons. Having now picked everything and pulled the plants. I've had a fraction over 6lbs of shelled beans from 96 plants, not impressed at all. No sign of pests, a little blackfly but no more than normal and there were plenty of flowers.

xx
sutton broad beans

Started by roller on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 05, 2007, 11:51
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
Sutton Broad beans holes in leaves

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:04
by hubballi
xx
Broad bean Sutton

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2022, 09:19
by lettice
xx
broad bean dwarf sutton

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 15:30
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 27 queries.