Duckling - cute or what?

• 13 Replies

WG.

Duckling - cute or what?
« on: April 20, 2007, 09:50 »
Well we kept ducks many years ago and had no plans to do so again.   Until, that is, I found a little 2 day old fella wandering around in my garlic patch a few minutes ago.  

Looks like a wild mallard but I've no idea how he/she got there.   My best theory is that it was taken from the brood by a marauding gull who subsequently dropped it from on high.

So duck-keeper again - even if it is for only a few hours (I am not expecting it to survive).  I'll give it my best though ... it is in a polystyrene box in a warm kitchen with fresh water and breadcrumbs.

purplebat

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:12 »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for him WG, keep us posted
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

WG.

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:24 »
Thanks PB.  Next problem he will face, if he survives his early flying lesson, is our marauding cat - she is the best hunter we've ever had & a wee duckling would be fair game!!   Oh the joys of interfering with nature ...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:29 »
Very best of luck WG.  Hope the little duck can make it back to freedom  :!:  :D

WG.

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:45 »
Thanks Aunty ... so a surviving duckling released back into the wild when he is fully feathered would earn me a Naughty Step Amnesty for quite a while then ... ???

WG.

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 13:30 »
Well he is looking bright enough for the meantime ... http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=517

purplebat

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 13:34 »
Oh, WG he is sooo gorgeous, i wanted him to do well before, but now I've seen that, well! he's already proved he's a lucky little thing, and at least he landed in your garden, it could have been anywhere! fingers, toes, arms and eyes crossed now! (now that is an interesting image)  :lol:

WG.

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 15:33 »
Okay, Mrs Golf came back from work, spotted the duckling, and developed that gooey look in her eye which I haven't seen since ... ... that's another story though.

I told her the story and she said, "We'll have to name him Lucky".   "That's a good surname", says I, "but his first name should rhyme with Ducking!!"

milkman

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 15:48 »
Lucky Ducky sounds a bit wishy washy to me  :lol:

Anyhow, you'll see with the pic posting that I've already given you the choice of "Monty" or "Colin" names wise, can't think of any other scottish golfers of any repute worth naming a ducky after... :wink:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

milkman

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 15:49 »
ps. please don't mistakenly be getting the impression that I'm into golf...

purplebat

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 16:15 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I told her the story and she said, "We'll have to name him Lucky".   "That's a good surname", says I, "but his first name should rhyme with Ducking!!"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

WG.

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 16:54 »
Okay - here is what has just happened ...

I was working away in the garden when I heard another duckling in the field opposite.  Emergency peep-peep-peeping from maybe 150 yards away.   On investigation, he was one of seven others with an irate mother in close attendance.  Indeed it was a wild mallard.

I took a snap decision & reckoned that this would be his family - same age and colouring & not many ducks would have such an early hatch out.  I retrieved Lucky / Colin / Monty from the house and released him in the vicinity.   Couldn't get too close or they'd simply have scattered.

He soon heard the others and made off in hot pursuit.   Following on from behind, I soon couldn't tell which was which so hopefully the family is now reunited.

Hope I've done the right thing but I'll never know for sure.

purplebat

Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 17:00 »
oh that's so cool, I'm sure it was his family, and I'm sure you've done the right thing! ell done WG  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Duckling - cute or what?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 21:17 »
Thanks Aunty ... so a surviving duckling released back into the wild when he is fully feathered would earn me a Naughty Step Amnesty for quite a while then ... ???
It certainly would WG  :!:

Okay - here is what has just happened ...

... He soon heard the others and made off in hot pursuit.   Following on from behind, I soon couldn't tell which was which so hopefully the family is now reunited.

Hope I've done the right thing but I'll never know for sure.

Well done WG  :!:   I'm sure you've done the right thing. I love a happy ending  :D

Amnesty granted... but not for too long  :wink:

xx
This is cute (pic)

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 19:04
by mdueal
xx
re duckling

Started by phil2005 on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 22:52
by too many girls
xx
Possible duckling

Started by dkelly on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 13:11
by slowef
xx
DUCKLING

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:47
by WR1

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 37 queries.