hen house roofs

• 13 Replies

karlooben

hen house roofs
« on: July 15, 2009, 20:55 »
i have a 7 by 7 shed converted i thought it was 8'6 but my dad says 7 '7 . well the roof i am not totally happy with . its wood ply plus felt an then pvc corrugated sheets it bows and i am so woried it will collaspe oneday . now i have just been offered a garage door aluimium 10 foot by 20 foot  :lol: if i can take down the netting over the run an slid the door up an over the main fencing  onto the shed then balance it on all corners with posts going into the ground it would make one very solid roof but the thnig that worrries me is the noise when it rains any ideas of how i could cover it so when it rained it would not be so noisy .
any part of the alli door thats over hanging an be used as bit of a shelter although it will be high up .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

dizzylizzie

Re: hen house roofs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:40 »
hi hazel :D
im not much help hunny, cos i love the sound of rain :D
do you think people would complain about the noise, or do you think it might unsettle your girls?

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:34 »
Hi karlooben

If you put the garage door on top of your run it will be so noisey when it rains and you won't be able to get it off quick enough and you'll get yet too.

The noise will be deafening and you poor chooks won't thank you for that.

Onduline isn't too expensive from B & Q.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:36 »
We've used the stuff from B&Q, think it was less than £10 a sheet.  Plus fixings. Did need a beam across the middle to support though.  We intalled it during the heat wave, and it gets a bit floppy when it's hot!
Plus point is that the corregated 'gap' gives good ventilation, though need to block with mesh to stop visitors.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 18:40 »
that was my main concern the noise , i was wandering if there was anything i could use to stop it or drown it out i've been told of something called rubber paint but that sounds to toxic to use around the girls even if it is on a roof.
what was that stuff flower ??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 19:12 »
Looby, you would be better off using onduline or coraline (same stuff - different manufacturers) and you can get it from builders merchants,  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 20:53 »
think i mite have to , only reason i was thinking of the garage was that its free and recylcable  :lol:.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:08 »
that was my main concern the noise , i was wandering if there was anything i could use to stop it or drown it out i've been told of something called rubber paint but that sounds to toxic to use around the girls even if it is on a roof.
what was that stuff flower ??

Its the same stuff a few people have mentioned, has different trade names depending on who is makes it.  But basically its corregated bitumen.   

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:30 »
The garage door used as a roof may heat up a lot in warm weather as well.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 17:34 »
thanks for that something i didnt give thought to , i may well call a roofer and have it done properly .i did want to build a really nice new house as i have an lovely idea as one but it wil cost to do and now the babies are reasonably happy to be in the same shed as the adults i may just as well keep the shed as it is .

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 17:42 »
Looby I spent this afternoon on site sat in my van whilst we had a thunder and lightening storm complete with hail and it was deafening, so think the garage door is a definate no no for your hen house.

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 17:44 »
i think your so so right , but at least i asked about it first before jumping in and doing it then regretting it .

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 17:56 »
I tried to talk to my vet whilst sat in my van and couldn't hear a word she said (had to call back later when I got home  :D), it was then that I thought of you and your chicks - unless you are in that situation you don't realise just how noisy it would be  :D. The onduline comes in the same length and width as the clear corrigated sheets but you would need to put battens up to fix it to. I have it on my shed and am going to replace the roof of my cheapo chinese jobby with it as well as that is now starting to seperate  >:(

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 18:24 »
i will look at getting that stuff over the next month or so .

xx
roofs for run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 21:31
by Foxy
xx
Why won't my hen fly up into its house?

Started by Catk on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 06:11
by DD.
xx
What do you think of this Hen House?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 14:57
by nicky d
xx
Which Hen House ?

Started by stamford on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 21:00
by milly8

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 37 queries.