has anyone used this?

• 8 Replies

dizzylizzie

has anyone used this?
« on: July 15, 2009, 17:45 »
hi everyone. not long now till our girls come home.... been getting together supplies and things we need etc. came across this on the omlet webiste. it sounds good ..... but is it as good as it says? its called diatomaceous earth, and it says for internal and external parasites...does it work for red mite also? as usual any advice or comments would be very much appreciated. thanks, lizzie

Vember

Re: has anyone used this?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 17:55 »
Hiya Lizzie

Best use as a preventative for redmite rather than a cure :) And I wouldn't use it as a wormer flubenvet for worming is a must in my opinion (you shouldn't need to do that for a while yet :) ) :D

Sarah :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 18:18 »
hi sarah, thanks for the advice hunny :D(oh wise one ;)). will just get the poultry shield then...(is that right?)x

Vember

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 18:26 »
I'd still get some form of louse powder, DE works as good as any other, you can add it to their dust bath (if using a separate one) , although they'll prob make their own elsewhere even if you do :lol:

It'll be handy to give them an odd sprinkle :D

Sarah :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 18:32 »
thankyou :)

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 22:46 »
I found lice on mine and dusted them with DE (and me!! :blink:), stuck it in their dust baths, sprinkled it in their nest boxes and when I checked, I couldn't see them. Will keep checking though, just in case. Haven't had the dreaded red mites yet, but have been shifting around the houses to try to integrate different lots and each time thoroughly clean house before adding chooks.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:33 »
ok, thanks .... will order that aswel then :D....god these chickens have a bigger first aid kit than my kids :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:58 »
Isn't it confusing. :wacko:

I've bought some Diatom, which I think is DE?  At this point, I don't care if it isn't, I'm just going to pretend that it is.

I've got poultry shield for spraying as disinfectant for the coup after cleaning with Jeyes, then plan to puff Diatom all over the place including bedding in order to fend of red mites.

Was told I need 'Johnsons' for lice, but haven't got that yet.  But maybe I don't need it if I'm using DE?

Have got some wound powder, just in case, but have been told to get Gentian Violet as well, which disinfects and also stains the wound, so the others don't notice the blood??!!  Is that true?

Had made a note of Flubenvet for worms, but then, fool that I am, got confused at the farm shop and bought Verm-x fluid instead.  Tut.  It will have to do, cost £12.

Also got some apple cider vinegar on order as a tonic. 

Got the bedding - big bale of wood shavings. Got the corn.  Ex batt pellets and crumbs on order.

Need to put mesh into the gaps on the corregated roof, make them a spare perch, to swap for cleaning etc. assemble the nest boxes...... what else?

OMG, must remember to pick up the girls!  ::)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 13:23 »
lol :D

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 28 queries.