Noisy chickens.

• 32 Replies

shay

Noisy chickens.
« on: July 15, 2009, 13:30 »
Firstly I have no probs with chickens making noise after all its not like they can have a normal chat or anything. My concern is more my neighbours, no one has said anything, I randomly give out some eggs as a sweetner but can only imagine its a question of time before someone complains.

Not fussed what noise they maike during the day due to the fact nobody unless they work nights should still be in bed, however its the 5-6am starts that could cause problems. They have there normal coup which has a run to it so are free to come and go as they please. I have tried closing the internal door to their coop however they still make noise which can be heard. Is there any way to which I can soundproof the coop without restricting their air or do I just continue with the handing out of eggs as a sweetner?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:20 by Ice »

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: Noisey chickens.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 13:33 »
I wouldn't worry unless they do complain, then explain that you keep them in in the morning to keep noise to a minimum.  Keep giving eggs away, they can hardly say anything if they have accepted the bribe!!!  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 13:38 »
I take it you mean hens and not cockerels, if so you can cut out the light in the coop with a removable board over any windows. They tend to be quieter if there is not much light.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 13:53 »
I covered the window in my girls' house with a plastic bin bag folded several times.  They still churr among themselves, but the "Let me out!"s don't start until after 6 even on bright sunny mornings.  Days are getting shorter now, so they won't be so keen so early for very much longer!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 15:01 »
how many of those little chatterboxes do you have? 

shay

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 23:48 »
Just the five, although one is the ringleader so starts the others off. Mind you they are not as loud. None are cockerels......that would be asking for trouble. Will give the blocking light a try.

battychicken

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 00:15 »
Hiya i was really worried but tackled it head on and asked my neighbours to tell me if they found my girlies to be a pest. I was really pleased(and surprised cos ones a bit grumpy >:() when they said how much they enjoy them and they talk to them in the garden !! Poor hens :( xx Its probably not a prob for them at all, we're just far too nice and worry about others xx
The batty chick

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 13:44 »
As an aside shay am I correct in thinking that you leave the coop door open? If this is the case then you could be leaving your girls open to attack. From what Foxes. Even in an urban environment. If you have your run on grass or earth it will not take a fox very long to dig underneath it and gane access to your run and your chickens. That is unless you have dug your fence in by 18 inches.  It has happened to a couple of members this year.  You should always close your coop door every night. 
  Then there are the drafts an open door can cause.  Chickens live ventilation above there heads, but no drafts.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Brambles

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 14:23 »
When I first had chickens I had a cockerel..  I nearly had a nervous breakdown every time he crowed, (even during the day).   Finally I plucked up the courage to ask some of my neighbours if it disturbed them, all said they LOVED the sound...  Then my boy began to get out of hand, killed one of my girls so he had to be given away.   He has gone to a keeper with many more hens.   THEY actually now keep HIM in order :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 16:23 »
After reading this thread I'm beginning to think I must have the worlds quietist chickens! mine only make little "bok bok" noises when they're talking to me.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 16:44 »
After reading this thread I'm beginning to think I must have the worlds quietist chickens! mine only make little "bok bok" noises when they're talking to me.

Ours too are very quiet and only make the "bok bok" sound, and thats not at all loud.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 19:20 »
Ours used to be quiet, but they have recently developed a habit of stepping out of the nesting box after laying an egg and proclaiming to the world how wonderful they are! They make this Bok Bok Bok BOKAWW!!! for a few minutes. If 2 of them lay at a similar time, they make the noise in unison!

It has us in hysterics. We have tried shushing them, and that works for a few seconds until they look away and start again.

Our neighbours have both said they really like the sounds they make.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 19:34 »
My girls never made a noise untill about 2 months ago! I tried blacking out the windows, that didnt work, i tried shutting the pop hole till a resonable hour! they all started with their bok bok bokawwwwww noise together then!! so now I wait till 1 starts and i run down stairs and grab the hose! i dont even have to use it any more!  they know what it means and run!  :lol: but still means im always up early and very tired all the time! this morning it wasnt the chooks that woke me it was hubby digging me in the ribs to tell me it was 5am and a chook was making a racket!!!!  ???
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 19:40 »
just glad I don't have any close neighbours so any hen and cockerel noise doesn't bother me  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 20:14 »
hence you're having my little angels  :D although the past 2 mornings it's been the ex-bats who have had me up at 5am as they don't like the new pellets and are insistent on telling me so  :mad:

xx
Noisy chickens

Started by bubbles108 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 08:28
by little brown hen
xx
Noisy chickens

Started by Lizziechick on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 08:13
by symonep
xx
NOISY CHICKENS

Started by jools on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 10:04
by jools
xx
Noisy chickens on a morning

Started by SamT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 08:36
by SamT

Page created in 0.971 seconds with 37 queries.