My Peas have gone!!!

• 11 Replies

redaud

My Peas have gone!!!
« on: July 15, 2009, 13:06 »
Hi there ive just registered as when i googled "my peas have gone" this site came up.  Yesterday my pods were developing very well - i have netting over my patch and my peas were at least 4 ft high.  Today they have gone - no sign of them having fallen off anywhere.  Strangely the exact same thing happened last year - one day they were there and then overnight they weren't.  I note that on both occassions there was heavy rainfall but i cant believe this would be the cause so can only assume something has eaten them.  I dont believe a pigeon would be able to get under or through the netting although i have noticed on occassions small birds have managed to get in although none were in yesterday - a couple of butterflies were in but i got those out.  This is sooooo depressing given the exact same thing happened last year - maybe i should give up on growing peas and just buy frozen ...........

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: My Peas have gone!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 13:26 »
Same happened to me last year - I reckon it was mice!  :mad:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Nefertari

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 13:28 »
The slugs/snails had a munching on mine - til I drowned the blighers with salt.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 13:57 »
Is it possible that they were stolen? Unfortunatly some people are not averse to helping themselves.

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 14:13 »
my runners are the same had a few on there that i thought would leave til next day , now theres no sign off them!!!  no damage by animals either hmmmm my first thought was some one fancied them for lunch as no sign of birds or mice nibbling!!! will ask around allotment  see if they have had problem before. my plot is near the top even tho site is down a dusty track its still possible :) :)how do you net for humans??????? ha ha

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 15:12 »
Is it possible that they were stolen? Unfortunatly some people are not averse to helping themselves.
+1
If a whole row go overnight then it has to be peeps, unless a plague of pea eating insects have been sighted in your area, however I would of thought that other veg would of gone as well.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 18:44 »
nothing else has gone but that maybe because if they had taken a cauli or cabbage it would have very obvious ,just find it odd.... im sure if it had been mice or birds they would have left a trace or tell tale sign?

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 19:38 »
Look on the bright side, whoever nicked your peas, has led you to discover the best GYO forum there is.!

It will be worth more to you than a row of peas if you stick around.
Liv.

Babyshoes

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 21:25 »
Similar thing has happened to our gooseberries!  >:(   Picked a few, left the rest to ripen a bit more, and next time we looked, the bushes were bare! Nothing else seems to have gone though, though if they just took a few we wouldn't be any the wiser. Quite depressing for our first year, on what seems to be a secure site, which is worrying as it means it is likely to have been a key holder -  there is a tall, spiky fence around the whole site. Grrrr.  :mad:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 21:28 »
Gooseberries could easily be a non-human predator, birds etc  >:(

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 21:31 »
Ive been racking my brains thinking about this, as its never happened to me
I initially thought pigeons (as you would) but the netting put a stop to that. So, like a lot of others I think its a human culprit.  As they didnt take anything else they must have done it for the hell of it..so keep a beady eye out on other crops  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 21:37 »
Gooseberries could easily be a non-human predator, birds etc  >:(

Pigeons would strip ours in a day if they weren't netted, but certainly sounds like two legged predators for the peas.

I can account for my movements.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas

Started by chicken soup on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 08:28
by matron
xx
Peas in pot

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 20:16
by DD.

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 37 queries.