Allotment virgin!

• 1 Replies

gillyr

Allotment virgin!
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:36 »
Hi all!  I am new to this, I hope to be taking on a section of a friend's allotment in the village where we live.  This should happen in September and so I would be really grateful if I could have some advice as to what to do then!  I am guessing it will need some digging and I was thinking of planting some green manure to go through the winter - is this a good idea or does anyone have a better idea? :wub:  Perhaps I have opened a can of worms here!!!!!!
Gilly

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment virgin!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 18:59 »
Hi Gillyr and welcome to the forums  :D

You don't say how much clearance may be needed, so probably the best place to start is to have a look at the articles about clearing and planning a plot here

You can discard the bits which aren't relevant.

Also on that page are a series of monthly articles indicating what you should do at that time.

Don't know much about green manures, you could try a search of the forum if noone else responds to this point.

But the most important thing right now is to decide what you want to plant and where on the section you hope to get - some things e.g. garlic and spring cabbages will be going in soon-ish so you don't want to put green manures there.

P.S. I'll move your post over to Grow Your Own for more people to see it

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Virgin Plots

Started by TomGoodWannabe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 11:46
by prakash_mib
xx
Virgin Land - now what ?

Started by gillej on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 22:34
by viettaclark
xx
Tomato Virgin

Started by feelingbroody on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 17:47
by feelingbroody
xx
Raised Bed Virgin

Started by TodmordenFred on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 18:00
by TodmordenFred

Page created in 0.722 seconds with 36 queries.