alfalfa hay

• 3 Replies

stephim

alfalfa hay
« on: July 13, 2009, 17:46 »
hi there im thinking about making a raised bed and read somewhere that i should put alfalfa hay in it for the nitrogen.  Does any one know where i can buy this and if not does anyone know of a substitute i could use.  Ive decided to life some slabs in my back garden but the soil isnt great for vegetables, hence the raised bed.

Thanks

Steph

Trillium

Re: alfalfa hay
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 18:01 »
Alfalfa is a great source of nitrogen but in a hay you risk bringing in other legumes which are likely in a seed stage and will sprout on you in short time. I've always warned people against using any sort of hay in veg gardens (personal experience  >:() as it creates more problems than it solves.
Instead, grow thick crops of any sorts of beans and peas and when they die off, cut them off at the roots which are rich in nitrogen nodules. Doesn't matter whether or not you want the crop, its the roots that will give you what you want. Basically you're growing a green manure.
It also helps to loosen and enrich your soil with lots of organic matter like shredded leaves (my favourite and free in the fall when people bag theirs for disposal), shredded straw, compost and other such items.

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 19:10 »
I don't know where to get alfalfa hay from but i feed my horses with alfalfa chaff ( brand name Alpha A), I was wondering if it was the same stuff. I always think of alfalfa hay as an American crop?

stephim

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 21:11 »
I think it might be the same thing to be honest. 

xx
Alfalfa

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 21:35
by spottymint
xx
Anyone grown Alfalfa ?

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 22:36
by Chiswickian

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 36 queries.