Should we have a greenhouse or poly ?

• 15 Replies

Beetroot queen

Should we have a greenhouse or poly ?
« on: July 13, 2009, 15:47 »
Cant decide which to go for, I think poly but hubby likes green house

The kids want an igloo made out of wood so that suggestion was ruled out rather quickly. ::)

I want to grow peppers, toms (although not huge amounts of these) Peppers, cues, chillies, so which is better ?

Lardman

Re: Should we have a greenhouse or poly ?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 15:59 »
Plot or garden BQ ?

Im not sure Id like the look of a huge plastic tube in the garden (regardless of which was better) Mind you some of the more modern ploycarbs don't look much better either

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 15:59 »
Plot or garden BQ ?

Im not sure Id like the look of a huge plastic tube in the garden (regardless of which was better) Mind you some of the more modern ploycarbs don't look much better either

sorry its for the plot, although I like nice looking  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 16:18 »
Don't really think there's much to choose between the 2. You get more space for your money with a p/t :)
Unless you can find a 2ndhand greenhouse :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00 »
Will keep my eyes open see what we can find on hubby's work internet lots of freebies come up on there  :D

savbo

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02 »
my 8x12 ghouse on the plot is producing plenty of chillies (10 plants in pots on the bench), toms (about 20 in the borders, all sorts - thanks to Ron the Allotment God for his spares) and 2 cucs (in border) so I would say it's enough for those...and SO nice for pottering in...BUT if we get a full plot sometime I defintiely fancy a polytunnel for early salads, sweetcorn and LOADS of stuff.. :)

M

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:17 »
On our site we are allowed a greenhouse to the maximum size of 10' x 8' and a maximum size of 20' x 10' on the poly tunnel, so really theres no decision to make.

Although we have a greenhouse on our plot we have a 30' poly tunnel on our communal area that not many people seem to use so there is quite a bit of our stuff in there.  :D

Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

shay

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56 »
Greenhouse for the garden although its plastic sheeted because of the kids and not so intelligent dogs but a polytunnel down the allotment.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 12:09 »
I've got greenhouses at home, but would have a polytunnel on the plot if it wasn't for one thing.

Someone else has to look after it if we go away, whereas at home there's plenty of neighbours to throw some water in the greenhouses.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 13:50 »
Now got visions of someone literally throwing a bucket of water through the open door :lol:

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 14:19 »
got polytunnel and two glass greenhouses at home. One greenhouse has advantage of electrics and benches for propogator so it is used for seed work and transplanting and early plants for teh open plots etc but poly is producing the best and fastest yields on Toms, aubs, cues, peppers, carrots, pumpkins, etc etc. Also very useful for bulk storage like straw for ducks and drying nets and covers when taken off plots.
 First year with poly so perhaps can't be definitive as not yet gone thro autumn and winter and very early spring seasons so not suer about warm up rates etc but if I had to give one up then it would be a glass one not the polytunnel that would go.
R

hamstergbert

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 15:21 »
Given recent posts on the subject of yobbery assorted, perhaps the vulnerability or resistance to casual vandalism should be one of the core considerations.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 15:30 »
Now got visions of someone literally throwing a bucket of water through the open door :lol:

That's why I don't like going away & leaving them!

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 07:12 »
If you're planting directly into the ground and don't mind the aesthetics I'd consider a polytunnel as you can move it when the plastic needs replacing and so mitigate against the long-term effects of soil sickness, and if you eventually decide on a greenhouse then cover it in netting and you have a fruit/brassica cage.  If it needs to look pretty then you're probably better off with a greenhouse.

SS

gillie

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 07:54 »
Polytunnels can be difficult to ventilate and working in an unventilated polytunnel is like working in a sauna in warm weather and an invitation to blight.  I think you can now get polythene covers with some kind of 'window' in them.  More expensive of course, but I would guess well worth while.

Cheers,

Gillie

xx
poly tunnel now or save for a greenhouse

Started by rachelr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 12:58
by JamPan
xx
Poly

Started by rusty100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 22:40
by mumofstig
xx
which poly?

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 08:24
by Kristen
xx
nettle tea in a poly pin

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 19:12
by sachkrimbo

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 38 queries.