Are chickens really as stupid as we think?

• 17 Replies

nimue4

Are chickens really as stupid as we think?
« on: July 12, 2009, 22:11 »
Got a new hen house and some new chickens. Old ones are fine in theirs. New chickens slept in the nest box all crowded together so blocked it off at night so they had to roost. Then they muscled the roosting bars off so they could lay eggs on the floor. Why? Do they know nothing these days? Probably listen to weird music my kids listen to as well. lol

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: Are chickens really as stupid as we think?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:26 »
 :lol: :lol:

have you seen the size of their heads?  not much brain room!

Actaully tho, they know who gives them treats and follow me down the field to the shed where they are kept!  I feel like the pied piper with a flock of 12 behind me!
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:15 »
One of my hens was in a small nestbox outside the main coop laying an egg, as she was laying she would stick her head out of the box and pick up a twig, root or piece of dried grass to add to the nest by turning her head and dropping it over her shoulder.
When she ran out of twigs in neck range she got out of the nestbox and proceeded across the lawn picking up bits and dropping them over her shoulder.

A bird of very little brain  :)

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:21 »
One of my hens was in a small nestbox outside the main coop laying an egg, as she was laying she would stick her head out of the box and pick up a twig, root or piece of dried grass to add to the nest by turning her head and dropping it over her shoulder.
When she ran out of twigs in neck range she got out of the nestbox and proceeded across the lawn picking up bits and dropping them over her shoulder.

A bird of very little brain  :)

hillarious!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

poppies

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:26 »
I have a tiny little silkie who has gone broody for the first time, when she was trying to pinch  the other's  eggs to put  under her, she kept rolling them too far and then she stepped back and did it again it looked like she was having a game of croquet,

she got there in the end about 3ft from where she started

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 20:33 »
Our 3 must be more intelligent than average hens. They outwitted us for weeks by getting into next doors. Every time I found an escape route and blocked it off they found another. Finally I got the upper hand....but are they just biding their time??

purplebat

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 22:17 »
One of my marans is definitely stupid; she's gone broody but doesn't sit on the eggs, the eggs are laid in one box and she lays in another sitting on thin air!!!
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Vi

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 03:04 »
Silly chickens :) 

Duck, my chicken that stamps her feet when she crouches was following me down some stairs toward her pen.  I had their food cup in my hand and was going to add this to their feeder.  Being all stiff and achy (8 months preggers) I stopped to take a break and sit on the bottom step.  I don't move all that quickly so my sitting down was a slow motion effort and I didn't realise Duck was right there at my heels.  Instead of moving out of the way, she crouched down as though I was going to pick her up. I only realised because I felt her head under me and heard her stamping just before I settled my weight.  She's lucky there was a stump nearby I could shift my weight to quickly or she'd be flattened!  Silly chook!  Not too clever :)  Funny though

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:40 »
bet you've made her confused as well by calling her duck  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vi

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:18 »
OH Named them :) We've got another one named Goose and another named RoadRunner :)  We haven't named the baby three yet though :)  Probably will name them something equally goofy.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:40 »
We have one chicken who refused to lay in the nesting box, but insisted on laying on the floor of the hen house, amongst all the poo if we didn't get there early enough to clean it out before her!! So we bought a plastic egg and put it in the nesting box to show that's what it's for. Now she climbs in, carefully edges the plastic egg out of the nesting box and onto the floor, then sits on it and lays her own - exactly where she always did!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:47 »
 ::)

last night i went to close the chickens in for the night, and had to put jessica and erica in the house (because they go to sleep on the top shelf instead of the house)  when i opened the lid to count the others: all four of them were in the house extension (which I'd added to make the house bigger for the 6): the house extension is no bigger than a nestbox!

I agree with everyone else - they're clever enough to know who's got the food, but no room up there for anything else!
 ::) :lol: ::) :lol:

madcat

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 15:53 »
OH Named them :) We've got another one named Goose and another named RoadRunner :)  We haven't named the baby three yet though :)  Probably will name them something equally goofy.

Can I suggest Mouse, Hamster and Gerbil?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

hamstergbert

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 17:41 »
or Chasseur, AuVin and Supreme!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

too many girls

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 17:53 »
Thelma, Shaggy and Scooby............

xx
Stupid chickens or stupid me?

Started by Seedling on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 21:02
by babe
xx
help pls stupid dog!

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 14:19
by pepsi100
xx
stupid hens

Started by Boroboy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 20:24
by Rubellite
xx
sorry if this sounds really stupid, but.......

Started by janet12000 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 21:49
by janet12000

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 37 queries.