Onions

• 5 Replies

Kenef

Onions
« on: July 12, 2009, 20:34 »
Hi, This is my first message here having just this moment joined, but I am desperate for any help as, for the first time in twenty-something years, I have lost ALL of my onions. They have succumbed to a cotton-wool type of fungus but also to an infestation of small beetles which have tunneled into the roots. These beetles are black, about 5mm long, articulated and with a dull red spot on the thorax. If anyone has any ideas about this pest I would be most grateful to hear from them. Thank you.

purplebat

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 21:11 »
Hi Kenef, and welcome! Any chances of a pic of said pest?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 21:13 »
Yes, a picture would help as I can't find any reference to black beetles attacking onions.
Cheese makes everything better.

SG6

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 21:50 »
Worst scenario I can find is:
White stuff is Onion White Rot.
Beetles could be Click Beetles, eel worms are the larve of click beetles.

The eel worms could have been what burrowed into the onions and then they will develop into beetles.

Hope it is not this combination as the white rot will forbid the growing of alliums for some time (years) and eel worms will burrow into most root crops until eliminated.

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 21:55 »
Hi Kenef,
That sounds like a horror allotment story - I have not heard of a complete set of onions going down like you describe.   I take my onions for granted - as they always grow.  How does one go about irradicating eel worms?   Sounds like some precaution might be worthwhile.   :blink:  Hope next year is better for you.
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 22:03 »
I think there's a nematode that you can buy in dry form and add to watering cans to get them into the soil and they will eventually control the numbers of the eelworm, but it would take several applications and as it's not a 100% solution I'm afraid.

Do you grow your onions in the same place every year kenef?

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 36 queries.