prune my grapes

• 4 Replies

SidReal

prune my grapes
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:55 »
bonjour

I've taken over an overgrown plot and amongst the jungle has emerged an established grape bush as well as some blackcurrants - yum. I'm looking to prune the grape bush this winter for a proper grow next year (and maybe a glass of wine the following years...) and I'm following RHS guidance so that's okay as seems fine, but I wondered if I have to wait till the plant is dormant before pruning... it would be ideal to start this now, as the bush is an overgrown mass of vines reaching out and I really need to carry out some proper weeding at its base (nettle and bindweed roots) - I have a feeling though it will be best to let the plant do its thing, absorb the sun and put the energy in the right place, before pruning back this winter. any thoughts on this?

X

Nikkithefoot

Re: prune my grapes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:00 »
Grapes are normally pruned early autumn. However a little tidying up now might help you later to get it better shape so you can work out what you are doing. Certainly weed around its base. Yuo could also tie on coloured wool to the bits you think you want to keep and paln your pruning that way. Don't be scared if you 'overprune' it should grow back eventually.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 14:43 »
Even in California, they don't prune our grapes until March. This gives them a good dormant spell to get over any wet weather before they're pruned, which stimulates their growth for the coming season.
Some excess pruning now wouldn't hurt, but definitely save the main pruning for later when it's dormant.

SidReal

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 22:45 »
thanks for advice

sid

jaws

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 15:28 »
I read somewhere you should prune grapes in the dead of winter - New years day is said to be good when the plant is dormant. If you listened to the Archers a couple of years ago Nigel Pargiter was fanatical about pruning at new year. If you leave it too late when the sap starts rising the plant can bleed out. I have had a coupld of near misses. I prune right back to the knobbly joints where last years branches emerged from and get abundant growth and fruit every year although the fruit is very small - too many I think. I am trying to prune off a lot of the bunches to allow the others to grow bigger - I hope.

xx
too late to prune grapes (and blackcurrants?) ?

Started by SidReal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:04
by Stevens706
xx
Hazelnut care. To prune or not to prune?

Started by louisemasters on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 18:55
by Yorkie
xx
To Prune Or Not?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 15:33
by Trillium
xx
More than just a prune.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2016, 13:15
by Lardman

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 36 queries.